Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: kicking up the rudder
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

do you guys usually kick up the windward rudder when sailing. i have seen a few people do this in pictures but i am not sure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Pretty much everyone that races sails downwind with the windward rudder up.The good guys go upwind with one rudder.Downwind one rudder up helps reduce drag,especialy if you sail with your rudders toed in.Upwind it reduces drag and gives the helm a little better feel.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hope this works.picture of Gavin Colby(World Champ) going upwind

(Image link edited by admin)

Last edited by mmadge on Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 8:46 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

That image doesn't work...edit it and make it a link instead. The best sailors are ALWAYS looking to get rid of drag/reduce weight/make thing more efficient/get more sail area and GO FASTER! On a Hobie, getting rid of wetted surface area in the form of a rudder blade can make a .25 kt difference in speed, which can be the difference b/n the front and back of a very, very competive fleet. My local Hobie sailors, whom I race against in slower monohulls and beat across the line, are definatly not what I would call the "Lets pull up that rudder blade for an extra .25 kts on this 30 second reaching leg" kind of sailors. I'm the kind of sailor that is thinking about going as fast as possible every time I go sailing, whether I'm racing or not (and H14's aren't active in my area, so I don't race them). I spend time fairing the boats I race blades and hulls with 1500 grit sandpaper, sand and fill in any scratchs etc.

If you are going out and having a good time, pulling up a rudder blade isn't a big deal; if you are racing, it can be (I have pictures of 25 H14's going downwind, everyone with only one blade in the water; this is in a 75-100 baot fleet).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:40 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Mmadge is right about downwind - not only is there less drag, the boat acutally handles better with one rudder up.

The technique of sailing upwind with a rudder up has been perfected by our Puerto Rican and Mexican friends. It is definitely an acquired skill that requires exquisite timing and coordination in tacks. I'm still not entirely convinced that it's worth the trouble when you're racing around the buoys.