Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 11:24 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hi all, i was just wondering if i could sail my hobie16 by myself, my weight is 138 pounds, i am 5' 10" tall . my hobie does not have jib furling but has a jib.
the hulls are 2003 models.

Please respond to this anyone?
Thanks for any replies!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:41 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yes, there are plenty of sailors who sail a 16 alone - it's a lot of fun. You have to learn some tchniques to handle the tasks that the crew would perform. You should be able to righten a capsized boat and you should have the equipment required. There is a limit how much wind you can handle by yourself. For more wind you just need the weight of a second person to hold the thing down.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 1:54 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

You can also run the 16 without jib - this will make tacking harder and give a bit of weather helm but is doable and needed for heavy winds.

I successfully sailed the Columbia Gorge in 20-30kts wind and high waves solo on my jibless 16. I blew every tack and had to back through them, but that would happen even with the jib in those conditions.

To do this you would need some line or wire extension for your jib halyard to tension the mast (unless you have a short enough forestay to do it with that).

http://www.div4.hobieclass.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:31 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would really think twice about going out in conditions solo that would require you to remove the jib. Especially since you are so light. You can really depower the H16 with sail trim and not hvae to loose the jib. It is substantially more difficult to sail without the jib. It can be done (as indicated by previous posts) but it is much harder.

You will find your limits on how much wind you can handle solo as you gain expereice. You will also find it is not the strong steady wind that is the issue but the gusts. I felt comfotable sailing my H16 solo in steady winds up to 30 kts. Granted I was/am havier than you 6'3" 240 lbs but I was able to depower the rig enough where I could leave the jib on the boat and not have the problems tacking that one would without. My advice for tacking in really strong wind... get as much weight forward a possibel as you come across the wind.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks guys for the support

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

How about depowering by using half the main? Isn't that what the grommets in the center are for? I have never attempted this myself so I am not sure how the boat handles. Has anyone else done this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 9:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have sailed in extremely high winds with the main "reefed" once - years ago. Myself & 3 other adults on my H16 - 2 trapped out. Water spraying everywhere! It was great! The boat sailed extremely fast & stayed flat. It vibrated a lot & I had to replace 6 rivits on the corner castings. Hobie Alter told a large group of us about 25 years ago that sailing with the main reefed was very smoothe, even in gusts. The boat doesn't pop up. It just comes up slowly.
I sail solo about 50% of the time now that I'm retired.. The previous posts offer very good advice. Practice makes perfect! You'll develop confidence in a short time. Just start out being cautious & use what little weight you have to your advantage.
Good luck & have fun!
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks you all, i took my hobie out today, it nearly ended up by the rocks but we saved it, the jib has a 2.5ft rip in it becouse of the 20kt wind.
my dad and i sailed it together and the main couldnt lock becouse the locking device was mounted upside down on the traveller.
but it was fun and frustrating all at once, this is a second hand boat and this is the second time we have used it since we had it.
just an update of today:)