Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 6:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 3:36 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I've had a Wave for 2 years or so now and have been thinking seriously about getting a Hobie 16. has anyone else gone through this transition? i'm looking for more performance, fun, and thrill. i know the Wave is simplistic and almost indestructible, but i think my skills have improves to the point where i'd be able to appreciate a more challenging but more rewarding cat. i've read phil berman's book on cat sailing so have some book knowledge on how travelers, jibs, traps, etc work.

if anyone has made the same move, i'd love to hear your story, but of course all you others who love sailing your 16, tell me what you love and crave most about the 16. what makes it so addictive? =)

thanks in advance!

-Will

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:15 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Will - This is a good question. I've never sailed a Wave, but We rented a Getaway in Key West a few months ago. It was fun, but not as exciting or as much fun as our H16. We've had our H16 for 26 years & we still love it. WHY??? - Fast; fun; exciting when there's wind; relaxing in light winds; easy to rig, maintain, & sail; there are many 16's out there, so it's easy to get parts & plenty of good advice; easy to sail solo or with 1 or 2 crew. The grandkids can paddle it in the morning without the sails before the wind comes up; we can sleep on it when we go camping. Now that I'm retired I sail more & sail solo about 50% of the time. I think you should rent a 16 two or three times before deciding.
Good luck!
Rich

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

thanks for the input. I've decided I'm gonna go with a Hobie 16 though. Trying to find a good deal first, then I'll be hittin' the beach. can't wait!