Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 11:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unrigging question
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

So far, I take everything apart. Sails, boom, ..sheet all come off. I inclip stays from hulls. I'd love to speed things up with rigging/unrigging the boat, but would hate to damage anything just to save time.

Anyone have any tricks? I've seen a picture whhere the guys leaves the mainsail, boom, mainsheet, blocks all connected & rolled up.

What's the norm???

-jeff

Post subject: De-Rig...
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 8:49 am 
Site Admin

De-Rig...

I hang the blocks from the boom. Tie the ratchet to the downhaul line...mainsheet line stretched out so it can dry. Drop the mainsail. Roll the sail from the top and leave the boom on. Drop the jib. Slip the rolled jib into the rolled main and bag it. Tiller into the bag.

Lower the mast. leave the wires attached. Grab the wires from the mid point and feed into the rear lace towards the middle then forward. Just tuck under 3-4 laces. For a long trip bungee or tie the ends of the loops to keep them from pulling out on the road. Tie the rudders to the rear posts to hold up. Tie the boat and mast down... off you go.

When you re-rig, you just pull the wires out and up you go.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I would also add to this installing the Miracle 20 tiller upgrade. This way you can take the tiller and the tiller crossbar off quickly. It makes trailering easier.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hobie Nick,

With the Miracle 20 Tiller upgrade do you still leave the rudders on when you trailer, or do you pull the rudder pin and take them off? I know you can leave them on, but I thought the purpose of the upgrade was so that you could take the whole assembly off and apart quickly. I'm always looking for a faster way to set up and tear down.

Thanks,

Adam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 8:41 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I pull the pin - I do not like how the ride on the trailer wears the rudder system.
Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 10:13 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I leave the rudders on. Before I had the upgrade I took the entire system off because the crossbar got in the way of my rear mast support.

What I do now is take a cheap bungie cord from Wal-Mart, raise the rudders up, and use the cord to hold down the tillers to the hull. I just wrap it around the hull and tiller arm. The main advantage of the upgrade is the flexibility it allows for transporting the boat.

I probably should take off the rudders, but I don't race and the boat goes plenty fast for me.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I leave the rudders up with a bungee holding them centered , side shrouds attached. I bungee them to the mast and to the furler. The rudders never seem to shake around and the stress is nothing compared to sailing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:12 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry to rehash this topic but I had a question and couldn't find a previous answer. I bought a new 2006 H16 and the dealer told me it was okay to trailer with the rudders attached. Is this true? Should I buy rudder covers? Also, what about indoor winter storage, should I keep the rudders on? Thanks!

Post subject: Rudders on / off
PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:23 pm 
Site Admin

Somewhat depends on the distance traveled, but you can trailer with them on. Many people do regardless of the distance, but taking them off can save the boat, hardware etc from excess wear from the constant vibration and movement while trailering. That is not a structural issue as much as a fit issue. The rudder system will stay 'tighter" with less slop if you take the system off for trailering.

I would get rudder covers either way. Especially for storing while trailering.

Indoor storage? You can leave them on unless it is a space issue or someone might hit the rudders.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)