Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 5:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Recently the port hull of a 16 that I sail has been picking up a tremendous amount of water. Did a hull inspection and noticed that the seam at the overhang "lip" where the lower curved hull section is bonded to the upper flat hull top section has begun separating for a length of about 1-1/2 feet ahead of the forward pylon. It is letting in a LOT of water. My assumption would be to inject epoxy into the crack to rebond the two pieces. Putting in some form of caulking will only prevent water from getting in. I want to make sure I fix this problem correctly so that the separation doesn't lengthen.

Any advice on how to properly fix this problem?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I helped my crew fix his H-16. Turn the boat upside down. Place a piece of cardboard in the C of the trough to protect the gel-coat. Sand the lip down a little. (The cardboard is so you don't run into the hull with the edge of the sander). Clean the groove with a vaccuum. Masking Tape the deck lip and leave the tape hang, (this is if you dribble the epoxy it dosn't get on the deck gel coat). Mix up some epoxy resin & thickner, Pour into the crack or inject using a siringe. if the gap is wide you can use spring clamps to re-glue the hull to deck joint. You can aso use a vaccuum on the drain plug to suck the resin in if the gap is narrow, (use caution when you use any vaccuum on a hobie)

Just did this to my H-18, found a opening in the area of the transom deck to hull lip. I would suggest checking this joint every two years, easier when the opening is small.

1987 Hobie Holder 20 #273

dale.vanlopik"at"att"dot"net

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the help DVL. I'll get on in it.