Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I just had a QR pin on pop loose from connecting the main blocks to the traveller car while beam reaching in 18 knot winds. I put it back in and it quickly popped out again. Limped ashore and replaced the QR with a clevis pin. Tested the QR pin and found I could pull it out of the traveller car without pushing the button, so maybe the holes on the car's deck plate widened. I think the clevis pin will stay on my boat.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:20 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Skipshot wrote:
I just had a QR pin on pop loose from connecting the main blocks to the traveller car while beam reaching in 18 knot winds. I put it back in and it quickly popped out again. Limped ashore and replaced the QR with a clevis pin. Tested the QR pin and found I could pull it out of the traveller car without pushing the button, so maybe the holes on the car's deck plate widened. I think the clevis pin will stay on my boat.

I believe that if you can pull the QR pin through both sides of the car, then the QR pin is broken internally. IF it comes out only one side then the holes might be larger. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

As an alternative to QR pins, I found an example of the "easy-on/easy-off" ring dings :? (which seem to go by the name "circle cotters"). Check out http://www.pivotpins.com/catalog/CrlCtr.shtml for an example of one type which avoids (sort of :wink: ) the trouble with regular ring dings.

You can easily get your old ones to do this with a pair of needle nose pliers without buying new ones. I think this is the result, as some folks have already posted, of what happens when you beat up new ones for several years :P .

My only question would be about the marine application for these rings :?:. Or is that just getting too obsessed about things :twisted:.

Thanks and see you out there :!:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

always used quick release pins on the H16 for jib forstay and tillerand lower main block. used quick release pin with shackle for main blocks to boom. used solid clevis pins for shrowds and bridle connections and never had a failure. :)