Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Spare parts/Tools
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:42 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sorry to be the main poster for the day but I do appreciate all your help thus far.

For an '83 Hobie 16, what spare parts would you recommend me having handy either in my car or out on the boat. Things that in your experience, have proved them selves useful and/or break often.

Also, what tools would be a good idea to have handy and out with me at the lake for a quick fix, whatever that may be.

Thanks!
-LP

Post subject: Re: Spare parts/Tools
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I also have an '83 H16 with Jalepeno sails. Went out for the first time this season today. Water temp 51 degrees. Light winds.
Tool and spare parts to bring are mostly ring dings and some simple hand tools. I have a small tool box that I put it all in. I also have some silicon lubricant (CCR) and that is also where I keep my spare tell tales and bridle wind indicator.
On the boat I don't carry any spares. I do carry a paddle and phone in a dry bag. Sometimes I carry my GPS if the wind is piping up as I try and track my fastest speed for the season. (so far, today I went 11.2 mph max.) In about 8 years of owning and sailing this H16 I have needed something a total of 2 times. Each time I was able to scrounge something from somewhere else on the boat to make it back to the shore.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:46 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Spare plugs
Multi tool
a few shackles
ZIP TIES
Some lengths of para cord
assorted pins and ring dings
Whistle

That should be minimum in my opinion. I keep mine in a small Murrays zippered tramp bag attached to the rear of the tramp, and all items are in individual ziplok bags including some granola bars :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:52 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Here's what I carry in my tool bag, which includes tools to fix trailer problems:

1/2" drive ratchet w/sockets to fit the trailer lugs, 3/4" (pylon bolts), 9/16" (trailer bolts - Trailex trailer) and 1/2" (dolphin striker)

3/8" drive ratchet w/full set of sockets from 1/4" to 9/16"

Crescent wrenches - small one for the nuts on the blocks and cleats, 2 1/2" (for the rudder bolts), 7/16" (for tiller connectors, tiller extension swivel)

Screwdrivers - flat bladed - large (for rudder kick-up adjustment and bow tangs), medium, small and stubbie.

Screwdrivers - Phillips head - 8" #2, 6" #1 and #2 stubbie

Dead blow hammer (for beating on castings to get the boat apart)

12 oz carpenter's hammer (for beating on everything else)

12" Half-round wood rasp

Utility knife

Hacksaw blade holder (uses partial blades)

T-handled 1/4" allen wrench (that's for the 17)

1" cold chisel (for knocking the heads off pop rivets)

Needlenose pliers

Channel-lock pliers, large and small

Vise-grip pliers

Scissors

Heavy-duty wire cutters (strong enough to cut a shroud)

Electrical wire stripper / cutter

Hog-ring pliers (for seizing bungee cords)

Surgical forceps (for grabbing little parts)

A "Big M" accordion-style pop rivet tool

Silicone seal, Lock-tite, electrical tape, duct tape, zip ties.

All of this fits into a canvas tool bag from West Marine.

On the trailer, I have an old milk crate that has McLube, a small can of acetone and various cleaning supplies (soap, sponge, brush, towels and a squirt bottle full of water (handy for flushing sand out of traveler tracks)). There's also a bucket full of odd bits of line and bungee cord.

Sometimes, I'll carry a cordless drill in the sailbox, but only when I know I'm going to a remote/unknown location for a few days.

Then there's the "Hobie Hell Box" - a fishing tackle box full of miscellaneous parts from 40 years of sailing and racing Hobie 16s. For the beginner, pins, rings, mast bearing chips extra mast step link, rudder cams and a few shackles would suffice. Extra bits of wire, wire connectors, bulbs and a replacement flat-4 connector will take care of trailer light problems.

I also have a "marlinspike seamanship" ditty bag with whipping twine, sharp scissors, knife, electrical tape, two Sharpies (black and silver), small fids and a pusher.

On the boat, in addition to the electronics, I carry a Leatherman Tool, pins, rings, shackles, a few bits of small no-stretch line and bungee cord and a mast step link.

The point of all this stuff is - you don't want to cut short a day's sailing because a $5 part broke or got lost. In my case, I'm often racing in areas distant from replacement parts. Being able to make repairs quickly can mean the difference between winning the regatta or going home early.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 5:57 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Wow Mr B - I was wondering for a while how you secured all that to the tramp :)!!!!!!!!!

I am in agreement on the shore kit though, I have in my truck a tool top fix darn near anything on truck, trailer or boat, because you just never know...... :)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 9:00 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

LonePalm83 - Nothing breaks often! I think you should definitely purchase small items that you might drop and can't find, like: rings, pins, drain plugs, shackles..... Also, mast pivot bearings and a multi purpose tool. Duct tape.
These things will get you started.
If you replace items before they break-like standing rigging, save the good parts for spare parts. After a while you'll accumulate more spare parts and tools - especially if you start traveling to different lakes or regattas.
It's really difficult and very expensive to prepare for every problem that might occur.
If you have a trailer, then you should carry spare bulbs & a simple electrical repair tool.
Sun block, sun glasses, a cap, whistle, life jacket, knife.....
Be safe and enjoy your boat.
Richard

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I find a large cooler filled with beer to be the most important thing
I did go one a trip once and forgot the sails and no the beer did not have anything to do with it
Any hobie is super strong and the parts are well engineered
however I carry rudder cams extra pins knife vhf radio paddle knife
A CAT House Key plenty of life vests some emergency rope
on shore is the hobie hell box with many spare parts also extra wires for each one on the boat complete rudder cam kit nuts and bolts to match any on the boat drill bits cordless drill Marine Tex extra drain plugs SS rivets and rivet gun extra bearings for the trailer
Former Hobie Admiral Gary :lol: