Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pulleys everywhere!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

After scouring this forum it is eveident that I am not rigging my Jib correctly and I still don't have a clue even after reading all of the advice. I was sailing my boat with full tension on the forestay and I thought that was fine and that the jib would just hang from it. But apparently the Jib wire in the sail should be taking this tension and raking the mast forward? I still have no clue how to thread the halyard through the pulleys one the jib is up. Visuals or detailed descriptions would be much appreciated. Oh and are the jib battens supposed to just nail the mast every time I tack?

Post subject: Forestay
PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 9:51 am 
Site Admin

The jib does take the full rig load. You need to tension the jib halyard till all of the rigging is tight.

You are questioning the Jib halyard pulley system? The old standard system had a block on the end of the jib halyard and a line tied to that. You hoist the jib then pass the line around the cheek block on the side of the mast, then up to the block and through, then down to the cleat. I would then use the (3:1) purchase to tension the rigging... tight. I hold the halyard with a wrap around the cleat and grab the line between the block and cleat. standing in front of the mast, pull laterally (forward), then cinch up at the cleat. Repeat a few times to get the rig nice and tight. Tighter when windier.

Yes the jib hits the mast when tacking. It is a large and powerful jib.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)