Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: More delam questions
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:48 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I am about to begin a delam repair on my '79 16.
I am unsure about the glass and foam thickness and don't want to punch through the bottom layer of fibreglas. If anyone can tell me what size drillbit to use (for both the air and epoxy holes) and where to place a "stop" on the bit, it would surely help.
Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 6:29 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in the middle of this repair too. Depending on the size of the delam I would change my plan of attack. I drilled the perimeter holes really small. I'm talking a little bigger than a hair size! Lets air out but the epoxy doesn't RUN out. I used a 1/4" for fill holes. I found that you need a fill hole not just in the middle of the delam but about every six inches apart. I am trying to keep all the fill holes in the flat smooth area in the middle of the deck. Easier to cover up. The Git-Rot stuff seems to work good but I put it in the fridge over night to slow the "kick" time to let it get where it needs to go. Even then I have areas that may not be "soft" but still have that hollow sound when tapped with a small hammer. I found that my hulls were about 3/8" between the inner and outer hull. Just use a sharp dirll bit and don't push hard at all. I did a similar repair on the deck of my Catalina 22 and it turned out really good. Good Luck, and ask questions!!!
Jay

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for the info - guess I'll be spending the next few days sharpening drill bits. Can you feel the difference in the texture as the bit goes through the foam and touches the bottom layer?
I bought 2 quarts of "Git Rot", hope it's enough-the stuff IS pricey and took several days to get here. I'll put it in the 'fridge tomorrow and maybe wait for a cooling trend...it was 101 @ 9AM today! Doesn't leave much time for "squirting" it in the holes at that temp. I can't tell you how hard it is to think about deliberately putting holes in my hulls.
Thanks again.
Lynne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi Lonesailor,

Hobie Nick wrote this a while ago, and I thought he said it perfectly:

http://www.hobiecat.com/community/viewtopic.php?t=3891

When I did mine, I remember thinking "uh oh... is there any foam in here at all???" The drill bit really will just go right through the foam. Like he says - don't push on the drill, just let the drill's weight do all the work.

I think I used a 3/16 on my filler holes (I also found a second filler hole to be useful. Your delam area is probably a slightly irregular shape - just use some common sense when spacing them). The git-rot nozzle fit fairly well in that size. I used the smallest bit I had handy for the breather holes. Probably 1/32 or 1/16?

Conesus Lake, NY
1976 Hobie 14

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I didn't like drilling the holes either. But what's a few holes that can be filled compared to the scratchs and dings my boat has!!! Every night I go out and fill a few more gouges!

The deck skin is about an eighth of an inch thick. Don't push on the drill! The foam is like air, soft. I also found that squeezing the git rot in under a lot of pressure just made it shoot right back out after you pull the bottle out of the hole. A fast finger here is good news! I ended up alternating pouring and dripping into the holes, I had three holes going at once, so I just went from one to the other. I also went throught two pints and bought one more today. Like I said I still have a few hollow sounding spots. What's a couple more holes!!!

Post subject: Crac
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 11:47 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks, everyone, for "talking" me through this. It is much appreciated.
Lynne

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 1:26 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One more thing to keep in mind. I used blue painters tape to keep my cleanup to a minimum. I set the tape in the places where I wanted to drill my filler and breather holes. Then I drilled the holes.

This will do 2 things. One, it will keep your drill from walking if it is dull. This means it will be easier to cover up when the repair is complete. Two, when the epoxy comes back out of the hole it will go onto the tape and not your hulls. Agian, easier to cover up if you don't have to sand down the area around your breather and filler holes.

Remember, don't force it into the hulls. Use a little bit of pressure on the squeeze tube and take your time. Git Rot will not set up as fast as you think. You will have plenty of time to fill the delam area. I do reccommed that you get more than you think you will need. An untimly trip to the store is not very fun. You can always return any unused packages.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO