Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:50 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: after market sails
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Would the average sailor be able to tell the difference in performance of an aftermarket sail set vs. hobie?

Post subject: Re: after market sails
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 4:56 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have 34 year old Hobie sails, so I'm sure any new sail, Hobie or aftermarket would be a huge improvement.

I've been looking into it too. The Hobie sails have a thicker fabric, so are tougher and will last longer, which is one of the reasons they are more expensive.

If you plan to race, you need Hobie sails.

If you plan to sell it soon, Hobie sails is a good selling feature.

I am guessing that when new, Hobie or aftermarket there would not be much difference to the average sailor.

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:08 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

wpbeyes wrote:
Would the average sailor be able to tell the difference in performance of an aftermarket sail set vs. hobie?

It all depends on the sail....

There are some folks that are very happy with their aftermarket sails. I've see other after market sails that looked like bed sheets. Some even claim to be interchangeable between the different Hobie models - yea right.

I've personally never sailed anything other than Hobie sails, and even if I didn't race, I probably still wouldn't use anything but Hobie sails. There are many advantages of going with stock sails, but what it really boils down to (at least for me) is that with the Hobie sails, you know what you're getting- a high quality, long lasting set of sails with a proven level of performance that has been refined over several decades to work specifically with your boat. If you buy Hobie brand sails, you have guaranteed performance and longevity right out of the box. No sending back the sails for re-cuts. No dealing with flaky sail makers. No surprises. Just roll it out of the bag, hoist it up the mast, and you know it's going to work and work well for many years.

sm

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:56 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I guess a square top pentex mainsail would be awesome...
Maybe way overpowered. :twisted:

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Well, im looking to customize my 1989. it's not in great condition. it can only get better from here. Figured i would custom paint the hulls and get a very cool sail pattern. make it look awesome, use the heck out of it...

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 3:53 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

As long as you 'use the heck out of it', I am sure you will be happy with whatever you get. Let's face it, using the boat is a blast, watching it rot by the side of the house sucks.

As long as you are sailing, we will all support you. I have 33 year old sails from Hobie that still work great for my entertainment on the water. I am not sure I would buy $1000 worth of sails for my 33 year old boat. If I got to that, I would sell the thing as is, use that $800 plus the $1000 I was gonna spend on sails, and look for a good 15 year old H16. Then I would sail the heck out of that for a while until I wanted to upgrade again!

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2012 7:19 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Murrays has OEM white for $943.00

http://www.murrays.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=50-20991011&Category_Code=C-S&Store_Code=MS

foghmarine has Misty for $1,089.00, I am quite sure it is OEM
http://shop.foghmarine.com/browse.cfm/sail-h16-main-misty-hobie/4,66.html

whirlwind 4.0 oz. white for $480. Whirlwind is a good bet for an after market sail. They have more options up to a square-head pentex, $1125
http://www.whirlwindsails.com/h16.htm

If you are going to sail a lot a keep your boat for a long time, go with new.
Otherwise, there are many used H16 sails at $300-600, you will need some luck and do more work searching. Good hunting. 8)