jonh wrote:
sxrracer's sad saga continues :-S
Hang in there!
what area did you say you are located?

Tuscaloosa, Al

Post subject: Re: My Craigslist Rant
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm looking to buy a 14 Turbo, something that I can sail by myself off the beach, and something old enough that I don't mind it leaving on the beach in the sun.

I found a listing on Craig's List for what seemed like a great boat - 14 Turbo in great shape, 3 sets of main sails, nice trailer with sail box. Obviously I called, asked all my questions and was told the boat was sailed as recently as a week ago and was in good shape.

At this point I'm thinking to myself, "Great, sounds like a deal for a boat thats ready to sail". The photos looked good, the lady seemed honest. So I drive for 2 hours from Fort Lauderdale to Key Largo, and when I get there, I'm a little shocked.

The "sail box" was made of wood, had no lid and was completely rotted out and not even attached to the trailer. There were only two sets of sails, and the second set was shredded. The boat itself had been T-boned in the starboard hull and was pretty bad - certainly not sailable for more than 10 minutes without filling up.

I was so mad! 4 hours of driving for nothing! :cry: :evil: :twisted:

08/17/12

To be fair, I just found a great 14 Turbo on Friday on CL - 1983, great condition, solid hulls with no fixes - still original pin striping, aluminum trailer and cat trax. Very happy! :D

Last edited by ftlauderdale16 on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:05 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Craigslist can be a blessing or it can be a nightmare. I must say though, sometimes the ones with no pictures/poor sellers are the best. 75% of my awesome CL finds have been through them because no one bothers with them and you can great deals. Sometimes you just have to take the risk!

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 5:06 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One more from the 'silver lining' school. I was a longtime happy 16 sailor, and not looking for another boat. Was looking at my local Craigslist back in April when I caught a posting for a 'Hobbie Cat 20'. Hmmm. No info, no pictures, no details, nothing. I take a flyer, call the guy, meet him and the boat. It's amazing; 2 sets of sails, unused spinnaker, dolly, trailex trailer. The price; $1,800. I Just spent the entire summer on it, and shes amazing. Most 20's sell for $4,000. So don't stop looking! Deals are out there.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2012 8:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not a CL deal, but gotta brag

Looking for a place to store our RV and H16 near the lake we sail at, my wife was talking to the lot owner who asks if we are interested in a H18. My wife and one of the other fleet members look at the boat. I now own an 83 H18 that had not seen the light of day for 14 years. The owner lived near the lake and just stored it there when he was sailing it. He was asking $2500, talked him down to $2000. Kind of like the stories you hear of people finding vintage cars stored in barns.

You might try asking around the Storage lots, never know.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well.. the saga continues. Except this time it should end on Friday. Heading out early morning to pick up an 84 H16 hat I found on CL. Funny thing is that here is an 86 SE H16 for sale locally that use to belong to an ex ff dad. I kicked myself for jot buying it almost 20 years ago when he was selling it. It had had 3 owners since and does not have original sails. Has late 70's sails on it now and an a hoopty homemade trailer. I just could not bring myself to go look at it. I remember what it looked like when it wad only a few years old in showroom condition.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Done a ton of transactions through Craigslist but always remember "caviat emptor." There is some great stuff for cheap and also a ton of overpriced crap.

Personally, I'm restoring a '79 H16 that I got for a twenty dollar bill... with the trailer. One hull is good, the other has soft spots. Main sail good, jib weak but usable. Replaced the jib, sidestay and gooseneck for $120. Current mast has a small crack in the comptip. Also got a replacement mast, rudder and halyards for another $100. At this point, just needing some odds & ends to finish the job. Tramp has been covered and in good shape, but needing new rope. ALso need new jibsheets. The final piece will be new lights for the trailer and repack the bearings. Not counting the elbow grease and registration, I'll have a seaworthy boat that I can take the kids out on for under my goal of $495 - what I paid for my first boat, a H12 "monocat" 30 years ago.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:24 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am holding my tongue right now on my trip yesterday.. Needless to say I have plenty to rant about.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2012 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

sxrracer wrote:
I am holding my tongue right now on my trip yesterday.. Needless to say I have plenty to rant about.

Oh... :(

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

http://okaloosa.craigslist.org/boa/3329043738.html

Drove 5 hours to pick this up, took me about 10-20 seconds to say "Hell No". Honestly, there was nothing on that boat that was salvageable. His discription was a farse. He later sent me a message saying "I feel bad you drove all this way, I would let you have it for $350.00". The right side hull had been caved in and patched. There was a huge soft spot on the left side hull. There was yellow overspray from pain on both rudder housings. The Tramp was toast. I drive down to the beach and picked up a bucket of beach sand for my 5 year old little girl. Did not want to come back empty handed. Needless to say she asked last night when I am going to find another sailboat.....

There was a local guy with an H16 that I mentioned in another thread, heck, may have been this one, it got sold yesterday!!!!!!!!!! Oh Well!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

18 ft. hobie w/wings - $2400 (harrison twp)
Date: 2012-10-19, 2:45PM EDT
[email protected][Errors when replying to ads?]
18 ft hobie with wings double trapeze trailer two sets of sails 3/4 ounce spinnaker and some extras. 2400 or best offer ..... 586 738 5631

I came across this today............

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:13 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Left town this morning around 9:30. Arrived in Madison Mississippi around 1:00. Picked up an 88 H16. Hulls are a 9/10. Sails 5/10 main. Original Jib is 0/10. He has a worn out Mylar jib that came with it. Rats or mice got ahold of the jib. Tramp a 6/10. Faded really bad. May flip over! Need to look at all the stays. EPO rudders are decent. Need painting. Comp tip has some damage. Need to grind out glazing putty and reglass damages areas. Hulls need a hood wax job. Bottoms are probably 95% new condition. Side have a few scratches. Some TLC And she will be on the water in the spring. Will plan on replacing sails at some point. main also has a few holes.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Congrats sxrracer!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

sxrracer wrote:
Left town this morning around 9:30. Arrived in Madison Mississippi around 1:00. Picked up an 88 H16. .

I know that boat. With some decent sails and TLC I believe you'll gave a good one. Congrats!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:07 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I started to PM you and ask you if you knew of it. Got to take care of some of the smaller things, first. Went to remove the rudders and one rudder pin was bent, took 30 minutes to get out. Go ahead and replace the Fore and Side Stays. Work on the rudders. Need to re-lace the tramp, may flip the tramp over (top is faded really bad). Sent a pic of the jib to Rooke Sails to see if they could replace the upper half. Depending on cost may go that route for the spring and summer. Start saving for a new set of sails (newer). Main is ok, a few small holes that sail repair tape should take care of. Found a spot or two at the batten sleeves that need some work with a needle and thread.

Oh, was rolling the sails back up and got twisted some so I said "I will pull out these last two battens". Big Mistake........... Damn Fibreglass splinters. Should have known that they would be like that!!!!!!!!!!! ouch.