My old original rudder blades are in good shape but all grey and discolored. I can see very little of what must have been glossy white. I have a list of questions I could use some help with.
- What are the blades made of? Is there any coating?
- How do you clean them and make them white again, can it be done? CAn they be sanded?
- I bought a rudder shim kit with white plastic washers. Where do they go on the upper or lower casting, or both?
- I have white Nylon Nuts on all 4 pivot bolts on the rudder. The shim kit came with stainless with nyloc inserts, what is preferred?
- The black plastic adjuster screws in the lower castings are seized. Do I need them? If so I am assuming I have to drill them out to remove/replace?
O, and several non-blade related questions I just remembered.
- the Grudeons were installed bedded into clear silicon, and they used star lock washers. Is this the right setup?? I am thinking of installing my new ones with star washers, and no silicon sealer, with anti-sieze compound.