Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Abandoned Hobie 16s
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 4:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

was looking around a local marina today and stumbled across a 1977 Hobie 16. The owner is also the marina owner and said I could have the 1977, a 1973 and a very worn old trailer for $400.00

Hmm, I'm considering restoration but would like your comments--especially if you are familiar with delaminations and what they look like, feel like.

The 1973 has a bent mast and no steering gear, much less shrouds, sails, shrouds, stays, lines, boom or blocks.

The 1977 has an okay mast, otherwise the same conditions exist.

The trailer? Well, yuck---Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much time do you have? Do you want to buy work?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:21 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Time is okay--like most everyone else. I work a full time job but have ample time off. And, I don't mind the work because I wanted to build experience. Besides, I enjoy working with my hands. I just don't want a foolish expensive project that will sour me on the whole experience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:31 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Let me start this way... Are you carzy?

Check out how much it would cost to buy a set of sails, standing and running rig, the whole rudder system, probabely a trampolin. It sounds like the hulls are soft because you already asked for delamination fix info.
I assume those boats were abandoned by their owners after they realized that the repairs would have exceeded the cost of a replacement.
In some states it will be almost impossibe to obtain a title for those boats to finally register them.
You can take them for free to salvage parts - but do not pay the guy
You can get a usable Hobie 16 for less them $1000. I bought my Hobie ('85) with some upgrades installed (Harken main sheet system, double trap, composite blades, and hotstick) for $700. I needed to replace all lines and shrouds befor the first sail and the tramp after the first season.

Patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 11:00 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

That would require some serious thought even if the guy was giving it to you for free. Run! By the time you get that thing ready for the water you would have found a handful of boats worth buying. Spend your time looking, not fixing. Just my two cents. Yoh is right, you can spend 500-1000 bucks for a good used 16. They're out there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 7:32 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thats why I posted on this site, to find out if someone out there tried it or considered trying it--answer seems to be no. So, I'll pass. BTW, the hulls are solid to the feel and didn't have soft spots--go figure.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have seen many boats that old still sailing. Does it take on a lot of water? What type of sailing do you want to do? Racing, than pass, get out on the water and have fun with the family, it could be worth it. Is the trailer functional, and just needs a little elbow grease, how often will you need to use the trailer, check out the prices of trailers, they are not cheap.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the hulls are truly solid and the Mast is in better than fair shape, offer $250.00 and you have some good replacement parts. But you may be better off finding a "Whole boat and trailer" for $700 - $1000 soooo many options sooooo little time.

DO NOT tell him a good used mast may go for around $600.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 4:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Yeah, I did some on-line research and the basics that are needed, mast, boom, rudders tilt the price to over 1K. That is just for hardware. I'd still have to sand badly chalked hulls and go back over those with Imron or some sort of epoxy. Now I'm beginning to realize why they are there. It sort of goes along with the free boats in the Wooden Boat magazine. I think I'll pass on the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:53 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

great idea and good decision

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 3:37 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks for all the replies--see you down the road, Steve