Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 11:05 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

The lake i have been learning to sail on is closed for the year :roll:

Saw this on the news : http://www.abc24.com/news/local/story/A ... tXTgw.cspx

Just got my Hobie 16 all ready to hit the water, was hoping to this weekend, but it looks like i'm going to have to do some road trips ( which i don't mind, my trailer is good )

Any of you guys know of some nice lakes with good ramps and/or beaches to launch from? I'd be happy to meet up and go sailing with any somewhat local sailors/crew anywhere around the midsouth.... once i hone my skipper skills more i plan on sailing on the gulf coast. Also I would love to crew for any experienced sailors to gain all the knowledge I can soak up!!

Cheers! :mrgreen:
Tim

( [email protected] )

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:26 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

everything i know of would be over in AL - wheeler nat'l refuge (there's a state park on the river/dammed area there) (northwest AL) or in NE AL - lake GUntersville - also smith lake -

ALl of these will be about 3-5 hours from you depending on route and speed of travel from memphis...

isn't there a river in memphis???? something, something, Mississippi???

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

My parents used to have a H16 they sailed at Arkabutla as well. I know they had difficulty finding good times to sail there. Seemed to always be something or the other (no wind, lake too low, etc).

Anyways, they now have a big monohull and keep it at Pickwick Lake (border of TN/MS/AL). That is a pretty good sailing area. It's a 2 hour drive for them from Desoto County MS. Probably close to the same from Memphis. It's much prettier than Arkabutla.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Tim: Do you ever come down to Jackson (MS)? We're about three hours....on Ross Barnett Rez. It's huge and was built for recreation (not flood control), so the water level is fairly constant. Let me know if you're coming down sometime and you can sail from our club as my guest. We actually have a member from Memphis who has lots of family and friends here.

That said, we're getting into the hotter, deader months (except for thunderstorms). Spring and fall are best.

Better yet, caravan with Damon down to the Island Hop at OSYC:

http://www.osyc.com/index.php?module=Co ... iew&pid=22

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey guys, I had such a blast down there ( Sardis lake MS ) last weekend i'll prob be heading back Sat, maybe sunday for another round. Prob launch closer to dam.
Winds we're killer last weekend in the 20's MPH and i had my crew trapped out almost the whole time. On the way back in had even stronger winds and 3' + waves we were breaking through, getting soaked from the warm water (hard to see though - kept one eye on leeward hull ). Never pitchpoled or capsized even though i was thinking it was going to happen..Confidence booster for sure. The people there definitely liked seeing sail boats and were very friendly. I hope to meet and sail with some of you here soon!
Tim

--
81' Hobie 16 " Magic Carpet Ride"

www.thebeachcats.com. Is a COOL site for Hobie Sailors!

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.