Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I've been working on one of the hulls upside down on a pair of saw horses for about four days. Today I turned it over to put more git rot in the forward deck. My wife comes out and says "is that big dent where the tramp goes?". The horse had left a big dent just forward of the aft support for the tramp. And a little one on the bow. Not delamed areas either!!! I have one bad spot that I'm working that's it! I tapped all over this boat with a small hammer. It was solid!!! It has been hotter than hell. If I just let it sit, will it come back into shape?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 8:24 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Thats odd, the deck should be anywere from 1/8 to 3/16 thick fiber with foam under it to give it strenght! And no matter how hot outside fiber shoudnt flex like that.

The hull doenst weigh that much either.

Maybe it had moisture inside that ended up on the bottom of the hull while upside down (under deck) and that softened the core.

Saw horses are made with 2x4's right...that makes the contact point of the wood to deck about 1 3/4" wide...that could be the problem

Too narrow a contact point that didnt distribute the weight thru a wider deck area while upside down.

Dont think it should pop back up...but keep us posted....

U may have to drill a small /tiny hole at the depression and insert sort of a hook (bent rod) to pull it out back into shape and fill. Dont drill all the way thru the foam. Leave it so the filler doenst fall thru.

If u can get inside the hull do it from the inside and lay a layer of cloth or mat in those areas. But thats only if the deck is a sandwich (fiber outside/foam/fiber inside), dont know

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 1:04 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Something is wrong with that occurance. I had a pair of 1977 H16 hulls on saw horses (with the standard 2x4 contact surface) for 3 or 4 months while restoring them and it caused no dents.

Dave

Post subject: Dents going away!
PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 3:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The dent is about half of what it was when I first turned it over! I'm still thinking about putting a couple boards on either side of the deck and using a ratchet strap to put a little inward pressure in that area. And just let the heat and time do its thing.

Post subject: All gone!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:05 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I did nothing and tonight the dents are all gone! I can't believe it!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 3:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

That was a relief to all of us.....Im glad they went away with no more work to be done... :mrgreen: