Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Hobie 16 restoration.
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well I finally got me a cat that I can call my own. I found it on craigslist down in Wewahitchka, FL for $650. I had been sitting for two years because the owner had been in a pretty bad car accident and broke his back. He no longer can sail and needed to get rid of it. He was sad to see it go. I wanted a project to do and this is the ticket!

Here she sits waiting for me to come get her......

This is after I got done with one sanding with 40 grit on an orbital sander. Looking good. I will finish up with 80 then 100 and off to painting! I did find a soft spot but an easy repair. This is not my first Hobie that I have restored nor my last!!! :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:57 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Sweet, keep it up! Did you repair the soft spot by injecting epoxy, of did you put in an inspection port and re glass the inside?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Looking good, what year is it? and what condition are the sails in?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:33 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The boat is a 1982 model. The sails are in fair to good condition and it came with 2 mains and 2 jibs!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 9:07 am 
Site Rank - Captain

The soft spot that I told you guys about was a little bigger than I thought! The fibreglass was VERY weak in that area and I decided to get rid of it and fill it back in with my own. It will be stronger than before. (Million Dollar Man Music in background) :lol: No big deal, it will be a simple repair. Fiberglass is fun stuff to work with :roll: :lol:

Let this be a helpful tip to you guys, tilt you cats up on their behind and let them drain!!! This is what 2 years of water does to your hull. It was at the lowest point of the hull as it sits on the trailer. I drained about 1/2 a gallon of water out of her. No other spots were found.

Joshua

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 7:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Well tonite I filled the hole on the boat with a slurry. Cut up some fibreglass mat and mixed with the resin. I then slopped the mess in the hole and made sure every thing was coated with resin. Smoothed it out and let it setup. 20 minutes later( I mixed it hot) It was nice and solid. Amazingly I did not get a drop on me during the whole process! Tomorrow I will start the sanding and smoothing it out.

Stay Tuned for Breaking News-----

Joshua

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:16 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

Keep it coming, I love to see this type of repair/restoration work.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I sanded down the slop this morning and my repair looked great! I then injected resin into the holes to strengthen up the repair area. Sanded it down and Bond-o was applied. Came out smooth as silk and very strong. Flipped the hull and found another place and will give it the same treatment. It was in no way the same size as the last and could probably be fixed with resin alone but decided to use the slurry method. I found out after I removed the foam that there was a defect in the fiberglass. The place had not had enough glass in that area and caused a small hole to develop. Well needless to say that has been corrected! 8)

Will be back with more...........

Joshua

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2010 6:25 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

One hull ready to go to paint!!! 8)

Joshua

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Started on the second hull today and the other is already in the paint shop getting painted. Cant wait to see what she looks like! I will get more pictures as soon as I can because my camera's batteries died on me. :roll: Dang technology :evil: Anywho,..... did I tell you guys I will redo the mast and boom as well? Well that will be next after the hulls, or I may go sail a bit. Dont know just yet. Well off to work I go and catch yall on the flip side!

Joshua

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Jushua,

All the work you made on the hull is from the outside?

Why is there no "pop in cover" on the hull? Is there a way to remove the top of the hull?

I need to fix the transom on one hull ( stupid mistake as I did not completly straithned my rudder when trying to right the boat in shallow water...)

Thanks,
JF
Hobie 18, 1983

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:16 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What color are they getting painted?

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

All of the work is from the outside of the boat. No hatches were installed on the boat. You cant remove the deck without destroying the integrity of the boat. I will be getting them painted white then I have had decals made to put on the hulls.

Thanks,
Joshua

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2010 2:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Got both hulls in the paint shop. Went to see them today and they are looking GOOD 8) Cant wait to start assembling her once I get her home. I have some nice decals made by a friend of mine who owns a printing business. I will get yall some photos here shortly. Started to work on the mast today and it is ready to get a coat of flat black paint. Everything is coming together nicely. :D

Thanks,
Joshua

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:18 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Great stuff! Please keep it coming. As for the paint, what type, where getting painted, and cost please.