Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Replacing sails
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hello. So we are just starting to race our old hobie. We are debating to get new sails or not. Our jib is pretty worn out. But our car crazy sails is gorgeous and in very good shap! The fabric is very crisp and has no stains tears or problems. It must have not been used very much at all. How do you know if it is just a very nice but stretched out sail? We r debating to replace both sails or just keep the main and replace the jib? Before everyone suggest to get a new boat and not wast our money on the old one. We were very competitive in the regatta. We placed first in 4 out of 5 races. We had some luck and made some good moves that gave us the leads. On a drag race there was one boat that would get the lead every time.
Any help would be great! Thanks!

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

Post subject: Re: Replacing sails
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:53 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

What theme/colours are your sails? There are afew coloured jibs to choose from if they suit ur main.
It's possible that the cat beating you on the drag had the advantage if a strong jib. Serious racing requires good sails and u often see them replacing after only afew seasons. If u have the money a new set both main and jib would be best.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

The sails we have are cat crazy main and a blue jib? Cat crazy is blue red orange yellow. We r looking for a new dark blue jib if anyone has one? We r thinking about getting a jib now and possibly new sails mid way through next season.

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:58 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Sounds like the Cat Fever sail colours. I still regret selling mine, such a classic set I wish I kept them now.
If you don't have any luck sourcing a dark blue jib Hobie sell a turquoise blue one. A new red jib would also go with the Cat Fever main and when the time comes to get a new main it would suit Hot Tamale.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:11 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Or, see if Hobie has the material, they can make the jib.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 10:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Yea matt15 I believe it is cat fever. I always get them mixed up. So I think we are going to just buy a red jib. Sxrracer we contacted a local dealer and they did say they could still make custom sails to match our main but he said it takes a while to get them and they are a lot more expensive! But they don't have a dark blue anymore. They said that they have a more aqua blue. So I think the red jib is our best bet! Unless anyone know of a hobie dealer that has a dark blue jib somewhere??

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 10:36 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Elkyjason wrote:
". . . we contacted a local dealer and they did say they could still make custom sails to match our main but he said it takes a while to get them and they are a lot more expensive!

You got some bad information. A custom jib is not "a lot more expensive". I looked up the prices of jibs on the Mariner Sails (Dallas Hobie dealer) web site. The cost of a turquoise jib, part number HC20992071, is $499. The cost of a special order jib, part number HC20992991 is $599. If somebody wants custom sails, I doubt they'd consider an extra $100 to be "a lot more expensive."

I've ordered custom sails through Mariner Sails before, their service is excellent. Follow this link for their prices on genuine Hobie sails, http://shop.mariner-sails.com/Hobie-16-Sails_c251.htm. They have their own loft and you'll see that they also make Hobie 16 sails in house and they're a bit cheaper. Keep in mind, however, that if you want to get into one design class racing, you should buy the Hobie-built sails from them so you'll be class-legal. Mariner Sails will ship anywhere. Talk to John or Aris and tell them that Mark Van Doren referred you to them.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Just for reference:

http://static.hobiecat.com/2010_archive ... istory.pdf

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:39 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks mark. We r starting racing so we r interested in staying with hobie built! You are correct $100 more is not bad only if they had the same colors. The dealer I spoke to made it sound like it was a lot more expensive. From what it looks like they do not. I was thinking about starting to call different dealers just to see if any happen to have a new old stock dark blue jib. I just like the blue jib better than a red because the blue is the bottom and top of the cat fever design. The red would still match as a second option.
I wish there was a way to really tell if the sails are super stretched or not. I'm sure if some experts could see them in person they could tell.

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:38 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Elkyjason wrote:
I wish there was a way to really tell if the sails are super stretched or not. I'm sure if some experts could see them in person they could tell.

Stretching is only one consideration. The newer jibs (since the late 90's i think?) are cut a different shape to allow for more mast rake. It's a big upwind advantage.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:30 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Elkyjason wrote:
I wish there was a way to really tell if the sails are super stretched or not.

Excessive leech flutter, especially on the jib, is one way to tell that the sails are stretched out. Not being able to point upwind as high as your competition is another way.

In the 16 class, you won't be competitive at the highest levels without fairly new sails. This is because the sail cuts have evolved to allow more mast rake, etc. At the fleet level and for "fun" racing, you may be fine with 20 year old sails, especially if you're racing against folks with the same vintage sails. It all depends on what you want to do. If you're looking to race at a high level in the H16 class, you pretty much need a boat no older than 10 years and new sails every two or three years.

sm

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:54 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Here's what we have.
We just did our first race at the end of this season. So with how competive both my dad and I are I'm sure we will get a new boat with in a few years. So I am thinking about just replacing the jib. We raced b fleet and were pretty competative. We raced 5 races and got 1st in 4 of them. We did have the oldest boat. I think a new boat will deffinetly help but I figured we will race this next season with what we have in b fleet and then possibly the year after start finding a new boat.

Also thanks for all the responses!!!!!

1981 Hobie 16 cat fever

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I have cat fever main and a new aqua jib. Does not match like yours does, but does not look bad at all.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:29 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Have you considered a solid yellow jib? I think it would look pretty good with a Cat Fever main. I don't know if Hobie would consider that a custom sail, and charge an extra $100, or not. That might be a good question to ask a Hobie dealer that has experience with ordering custom sails and knows something about their pricing. Seriously, try Mariner Sails. Their customer service is awesome. Since you are in CA, they'd probably just have the new jib drop shipped from the factory direct to you. Mariner Sails had my custom sails drop shipped to me.

H16 Seabreeze #112205 (Richard Petty Signature Edition)
H14T Fantasia #47787
San Juan 28