Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:43 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

After rejoining the Capsize Club, I'm happy I spent the money on the shroud extender for solo righting. On a lee shore, lots of chop, and not coming up. Reached up and pulled the pin, then leaned back and she came right up. No where near in the right position (water was way to cold to want to go swimming if there was any way I could avoid it) for righting, but didn't matter.

Managed to get the shroud rehooked after righting it, although not as tight as it should have been (about three holes short). Should have borrowed someone's beach and straightened that out, but was tired of being in the water and a way to go before getting home. And the wind chill was getting noticeable.

At the moment I'm about 200 pounds, but with no room or time, the solo righting kit worked wonderfully. Even if I never use it again, it will be worth the money, because now I'm feeling confident that I can right the boat no matter how happy she is to lay on her side.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
You're light by about 100lbs. That's the main problem. Get a water bag (they can fit in a tramp bag clipped to the tramp lacings and stored on the bottom of the tramp for zero clutter), a righting pole, or a crew.

I would not recommend sheeting in the jib (or any sail) to right the boat as once you pull the boat up, the jib is going to power up, turn the boat downwind, and make it want to take off. Also, sheeting in the jib to the upper hull would force the mast down into the water if the bows are turned into the wind.

Sometimes loosening the downhaul (in addition to the traveler and sheets) will make it easier for the sail to spill water. You can also take your righting line and wrap it around your harness hook to support yourself. This will take most of hte strain off your arms. But the main problem is your lack of weight. If it's windy enough, you will probably be able to right the boat, but in light wind it isn't going to work.

sm

ronholm wrote:
To turn the boat you can also often just shift your weight close enough to the bow to drop it in the water and this will help rotate the boat into the wind.. You want to point the boat on a 'close hauled' course... With the bows about a 45 degree angle to the wind..

Ditto !!!! :wink:

David

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'm 150lb and 5'7"
I've done it - but needs to be pretty good wind. The key is the way the boat is oriented. Bow tips into the wind, so that the mast is like the leading edge of a airplane wing. How to rate that way? (get in and push) original poster said "I can stay dry"? well that's not part of righting the boat. If you want to stay dry, stay on shore. = )

Once we were rotating the boat to get ready to right it and once in proper position a gust came and the boat righted itself while we were both in the water. We were shocked and laughed our butts off. It lifted up - and plunk, landed on it's hulls... we quickly grabbed it and pulled up on it and shot off.

In lesser winds I find the shroud extensions (righting system from hobie) work nicely. You pull a pin and it extends the shroud about 12". It's a bit pricey, but I found one on here a couple years ago for 75 bucks. (a steal).

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:00 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Here is a little vid. using the extenders on a 20...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqY_zMlETo0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:11 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I'm 130lb and 5'6", with no hope of solo-righting my H16 without some kind of trick. I tried a righting bag/bucket but it wasn't nearly enough weight. I use it as a rope bag now.

I was nervous about dismasting with a shroud extender. The solution I chose was a larger "big bag" with a 4:1 block and tackle. You can find it online. It's not cheap. Basically it's a big duffel bag on a hoist. It's not easy swinging 200lb of water out from the lower hull on my shoulders, but it does bring the boat up. The bag stows with velcro under the tramp lacings, just abaft the dolphin striker post, takes up about 12" long by 5" diameter. The line stays lashed around the post and crossbar at all times. Nothing is in the way and it's all right in front of me when I'm standing on a lower hull. Yes, it does have to be threaded over the upper hull when deployed. After use, I tend to just wind it around the forward footstraps instead of re-stowing it. I'll stow it later on the beach.

Other tips: I would not cleat any sail while righting, unless I was also cleated to the boat. If the boat rights and somehow sails off with me in the water, that could be an epitaph. Also, as she comes up, I crouch down on the lower hull, avoid the jib sheet, and then straddle the hull just ahead of the crossbar. Then when she tries to keep going over the other way, my 130lb keeps her from flying that lower hull. Once she settles down, it's easy to get aboard from there. This method is pretty dry and avoids head injuries too.

Vin