Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:10 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently came across a set of very old Hobie sails. They're color is solid light blue, using the sail ID guide it looks like they're about 40 yrs old. They are in excellent condition considering their age, no holes in the typical wear areas and only lightly faded in small area. The boat was destroyed in a storm. They've been stored in a garage attic since. The boom has a license that expired in 93' so I assume they haven't been used since then. The main has the typical Hobie icon near the top and numbers where expected but no small Hobie ID patch. The batten caps are not typical, they just tie in place and are not adjustable. The jib clue plate only has one hole and is very similar to the main down haul clue. The sail cloth is also slightly different, maybe a little lighter.

Anyway, I intend to use them but started wondering if there are Hobie enthusiasts that might consider these to be collectable?

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:53 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

They are not collectible.

Just old.

The "atypical" batten caps were the norm until the late '70s, as was the single hole jib clew plate.

Those sails were probably made by McKibbin, who made Hobie sails until the mid-'70s, when Hobie Cat bought them and brought sailmaking in-house.