Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: new shrouds
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 9:50 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have refurbished a 80's vintage 16 and bought new shrouds. It is extremely difficult to step the mast however even with the shrouds in the top holes. Are the new shrouds shorter than the old? and what's the most expeditious fix for this problem??

Post subject: Re: new shrouds
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:02 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the new shrouds are still too short, you may consider switching from a 7-hole shroud adjuster to a 10-hole shroud adjuster. Compare the length of your old and new shrouds.

You could also rake your mast back some more (by using a second 7-hole chain plate adjuster for your forestay).

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

Last edited by Tim H16 on Tue May 18, 2021 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What makes it difficult? Just the fact you cant get the mast straight up vertical? Or is your forestay too short?

I put the "older" length from Salty Dog on my 1980. I am currently running at the top hole on the shouds (7 hole). The forestay is a bit on the long side. But I would like to upgrade to harken 6:1 and low pro jib blocks someday so this will give me the adjustment to get raked back pretty good when that day comes!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

gofeversailor - the answer to yor two questions are: [1] the newer shrouds are shorter than the old, and [2] the most expeditious fix for this problem is to return the shrouds for a refund and order new ones from Murrays (1-800-786-7245) or some other marine place. The wire length for the shrouds on an older H16 are 1/8 1X19 19ft. 1/4 inch. 2each. Double swaged is best. Coated wires [black or white] is optional.
Before you order a new pair I think it's best to check your forestay, bridle wires, trap wires, and the wire that runs through your jib. Also, unscrew your anchor bolts and check for corrosion.
Keep it safe, Keep it simple, and Have Fun!!!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2012 2:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What he ^^^ said. If you order a new forestay from Hobie the shrouds will fit but your jib will luff like the dickens because it's not cut for the new lengths.

If or when you get new sails and if you consider Hobie sails then get new standing rigging to go with them.

Also, while you're replacing rigging, order new anchor pins from Hobie if you haven't already and just replace the old ones since they fail more often than shrouds.