Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2003 10:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently purchased a 1980s H16 from a person that had never used the boat. The tramp is orange but still deep in color -amazing from the age - and has no wear marks. But I find the tramp is stiff/brittle. I have stood on the tramp and it is solid but I want to rejuvinate the material. By rejuvinating I mean to make it more supple and less likely to wear through. It is the original vinyl/rubber type.

Post subject: Hobie tramps
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:22 am 
Like you, I purchased an 80's Hobie. my tramp was covered in some kind of mold or mildew.I first cleaned with a bleach soultion and then took a ride to PepBoys and bought a vinyl restorer my tramp now looks like new.
Any car parts store should be able to point you in the right direction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

If you are concerned about the tramp tearing, I would also recommend you look at the number of grommets on the tramp. In the mid 80's, Hobie doubled the number of grommets on the bottome of the tramp lacing, reducing the stress on each one, making the stramp stronger, and the boat stiffer. There are a number of kits available to add a second set of grommets to your tramp. Murray's and Hobie catalogs both carry them. Murray's also "suggests" considering adding grommets to the center lacing, but I haven't seen anyone do it. But if your tramp is old, buying the additional spur grommets is a lot less than a replacement tramp. I did it for my '82 boat and am pleased with the results - still have my original tramp.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Clarification...when re-reading my post - I added grommets along the bottom - I haven't done the center lacing.

Post subject: rejuvinated tramp
PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:10 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did the vinyl restorer make the tramp slippery when wet? I'm sure it made the tramp look better and feel softer but I would worry that it would get slick in wet conditions.

Post subject: Re: rejuvinated tramp
PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2003 11:06 am 
curt wrote:
Did the vinyl restorer make the tramp slippery when wet? I'm sure it made the tramp look better and feel softer but I would worry that it would get slick in wet conditions.

slicker than snot on a glass door knob for a couple of days and then fine after that