Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I came across a Hobie that I have never seen before. A search on here and Google doesn't return much. Can anyone tell me more about these hulls? Are they rare? This is farm fresh from Craigslist. He didn't have any photos in the ad so when I went to take a look I was suprised to see these hulls. The hulls themselves are in pretty good shape. The right hull has a small soft spot but it isn't too bad. The Hawaiian Tropic logo almost looks hand painted on. Another thing that stumped me on this boat is that I couldn't find any serial numbers. The mast seems to be straight. The trailer is trashed and so is the tramp. What do you think its worth?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:56 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

its a brand.
http://www.hawaiiantropic.com/

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 4:50 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hawaiian Tropic used to sponsor Hobie regattas back in the '70s.

This may have been a sponsor boat, but it looks more like a homemade deal. The stripes are very crudely placed (the corners don't line up).

It's not "rare". It's just an old, tired 16 with painting on the side.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:31 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

What ya need is some Hawaiian Tropic Girls to go along with that bad boy!
:twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

NICE!! Do they come with the boat if so I'll take it. Price....irrelevant

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 8:45 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

anyway - super cool find DanITman. Thanks for sharing. What part of the world is this in?

and then... only if you are old enough (like me) it's a reminder of another product:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Hawaiian Punch RULES!!! I love that stuff!!! Never too old for an HP!!!
I remember when it used to come in cans like that even! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 9:32 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I believe I have a set of the Hawaiin Tropic sails, Brown with a yellow logo. I'll dig through my bin of crap and see.

Do you have the sails for the Boat?

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:41 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the feedback.

Boat is in Michigan. The guy wants $300 for it. I wish the hulls were in a little better shape. Matching sails would be cool. He told me that he bought the boat off a guy that won it in a sailing race. He doesn't have a title or registration. Apparently the sails were stolen from the boat.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:06 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Little History, Ron Rice built his famous Hawaiian Tropic empire in the Greater Daytona Beach, FL area (the production plant is located in Tomoka Estates, FL, which is about 20 miles from where I currently live) in 1969 & thru the 1970's-2007. Growing up in this area of Ormond Beach & at the time, unincorporated Daytona Beach, at the time RR was founding HT, he rented a house on the street my parents raised the family. I don't know for certain if the garage they refer to is the same one he mixed the formula in garbage cans, but I figure there's a good chance that the HT formula, in some evolution of it, was mixed at 2 River Dunes Dr Daytona Beach, Florida.

He basically had his pool lifeguard sales teams at every pool deck motel in the area for Spring Break. Part of the promotion & growth was his fleet of catamarans that were basically 16 & 18 foot Hobie Cats that were painted with Hawaiian Tropic Corporate team colors. Rice sold off HT to Coppertone, since then has tried to recreate the tanning lotion magic with the Havana Sun brand.

https://www.havanasun.com/
https://www.havanasun.com/story

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 8:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because of the black frame and the comp mast this is probably an 85 or 86 boat. Without a trailer and without sails there is very little value. Depending upon how degraded the comp tip is from the Sun the Mast would have little value. I could use the frame, but that's about it. Does he still have the main sheet blocks? My guess is they got lost with a sail.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Jimbo00 wrote:
Little History, Ron Rice built his famous Hawaiian Tropic empire in the Greater Daytona Beach, FL area (the production plant is located in Tomoka Estates, FL, which is about 20 miles from where I currently live) in 1969 & thru the 1970's-2007. Growing up in this area of Ormond Beach & at the time, unincorporated Daytona Beach, at the time RR was founding HT, he rented a house on the street my parents raised the family. I don't know for certain if the garage they refer to is the same one he mixed the formula in garbage cans, but I figure there's a good chance that the HT formula, in some evolution of it, was mixed at 2 River Dunes Dr Daytona Beach, Florida.

He basically had his pool lifeguard sales teams at every pool deck motel in the area for Spring Break. Part of the promotion & growth was his fleet of catamarans that were basically 16 & 18 foot Hobie Cats that were painted with Hawaiian Tropic Corporate team colors. Rice sold off HT to Coppertone, since then has tried to recreate the tanning lotion magic with the Havana Sun brand.

https://www.havanasun.com/
https://www.havanasun.com/story

I have stayed in his rental beach house before, think he is next door to it now. Pics of his daughter painted on the wall with other 70's movie and tv starts also!!!!!!!!!!!!