Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 3:22 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have been here a while, but not active, haven't put the boat in the water since we flipped it a few months ago.

Before I start, let me say I know nothing. I bought a used Hobie 16, I think it is mid-80s. I think all the basics are there, but no trapeze or any extras.

The steering assembly came apart on us and while trying to sail it home with my son holding the rudder on one side and me on the other we caught a change in wind direction for a few seconds, the sail fluttered and next thing I know I am looking at the bottom of the boat.

But that isn't what I am looking for advice on, we got everything back together today and the rudders don't seem right to me. This isn't anything we changed when putting the steering assembly back together. When I put the rudders in the down position, they sit onto of the cam (thing that looks like a eagle in the parts list). The black plastic piece looks like it should hock around a pin, but it just won't go there. The black plastic cam doesn't move, not sure if it is suppose to or if it is ok the way it is.

Last, I think most of the ropes are worn out. Adjusting the sails is almost impossible because the ropes/pulleys just don't move much. I think everything maybe original or very old either way. I think the ropes to raise the sails are ok, but everything else needs to be replaced.

Any help greatly appreciated.

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Check out Joseph Bennett's video: Service Your Hobie Rudders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jfn8f93XiQ

87 H14T
Tortola Sails: 115222
Blue Prism Sails: 88863
Clearwater, FL

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 10:22 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sounds like your rudder cam is flipped into the "down" position. This can happen if your rudder system is not serviced/adjusted properly. The cam should be able to rotate. If the cam is stuck in the down position, you can wedge a large flat screw driver between the rudder casting and cam and flip it back up. Most likely you need to lubricate the cams and adjust the setting on the tension spring (large plastic screw inside the lower rudder casting. If your rudders have adjustable rake, then you may need to play with the settings there to get the system functioning properly.

When the system is set up correctly, the tiller arm will "click" in when the rudders are locked in the down position.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 10:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Trust me, when sailing without the rudders working smoothly, everything is a fight. That is how my '79 was when I got it. I rebuilt everything in the rudder for about $20? and now it works like butter! Steering slop is much improved, the rudder snap into place when I want them to, and up when they need to. The old ones get rock hard with age. The new ones are nice and rubbery. It is worth the couple of hours needed to do it up. There is a ton of info on here and youtube that will show you how. If you have any questions, these guys will know what to do!