Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Single handed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:37 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Been doing a whole lot of single handed Hobie 16 sailing lately.Finnaly went out with just Main,used jib halyard as forstay.
Loved it in winds 8-12 knts.Lot less of a Chinees fire drill.Even got pretty good at tacking it.Not going to try to get into a tacking duel with a Laser but since I am going twice as fast why should I.

Post subject: Re: Single handed
PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Did you alter your tacking technique a bit? Obviously, you can't wait for the jib to swing the bow. Do you swing the boom to help the boat weathervane?

Post subject: Re: Single handed
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 7:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

56kz2slow wrote:
Did you alter your tacking technique a bit? Obviously, you can't wait for the jib to swing the bow. Do you swing the boom to help the boat weathervane?

Just like a big H14... Only better... :) Tiller control just becomes that much more important.

I tried this quite a bit last year when it was blowing.. But I used the Jib sheet to control rig tension. (I didn't have an aussie rig at the time.)

When sailing solo in big air 14+knts I think the conclusion I came to was it was easier to tack without the jib.. It felt like it was easier to carry more speed into the tack because the main could actually be traveled in... and you didn't have to almost pinch to keep the boat shiny side down..

Then the jib wasn't causing drag as you passed through the eye of the wind..

Also I wasn't racing around the boat trying to control the tiller work the main and then work the jib. With the jib on in 14knts+ I usually make the tack.. then end up with the main batten's popping over and still have the jib back-winded for to long slowing the boat more than I should simply because I can't get to it fast enough.. Without the jib.. it just felt like I can accelerate out of the tack sooner...

In 16+ knots of wind.. With the jib on it seems like every tack becomes a Y turn.. without it.. Tacks are much easier to complete solo IMO.. but maybe I just need more practice with the jib on..... But the boat is SSSSOOOO overpowered the jib is practically luffing anyway upwind (and I am 6'5" 215lbs)... and it is a real trick for me to maintain tiller control as my weight on the back of the boat through the eye of the wind when there is 15+knots is a surefire way to wheelie... Or...

Check this out.. Just the jib taking me over solo..

This is a bad tack on a number of levels anyway... (I was tired is my excuse) But seriously.. it highlights at least why I didn't need as much going on.. :lol:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vm4iAiItVaM[/youtube]