Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 7:48 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:20 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

So my local Craigslist has a complete spinnaker kit for sale, but I am not sure it is worth it. I have an '81 hobie 16 with the all aluminum mast and i have always wanted to put a kite on it, but could never afford it. But now that i have the chance, i have heard form a F-18 and Nacra sailor that hobie 16's are just not built for it and that i shouldn't bother. Then again i hear that in Europe that ever 16 has a spinnaker and that it makes sailing down wind so much more enjoyable/challenging. So the question is, is it worth it?
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/boa/3254613827.html

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 12:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Sailing with a spinnaker is quite the rush. For that price, I would seriously consider it. I sailed on a friend's Hobie 16 with spin outfitted and it was quite the experience.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'd be all over that if I was close!
Better hurry and nab it or I will ask him to ship it! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I would do it, no question about it.

2010 AHPC C2 #218

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

The F18 sailors have a point. The H16 was not designed with a spin in mind and, compared to a Tiger or F18, seems to labor somewhat. Probably has something to do with the asymmetric hulls. Having said that though I sailed on my buddy's spinnaker boat most of last summer and it was a real hoot! Especially in lighter winds. We crashed a lot though. Its a little more work to recover the spin before righting the boat. If you like to push the envelope, by all means, get it. If you sail mostly for recreation with the wife and kids you should probably pass.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:51 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spinnaker, absolutely !!! The H16 may not have been designed with a spi in mind but operates excellently with one. Contrary to popular opinion, the spi actually lifts the bows out of the water on it's downwind run.

However, I didn't see a snuffer included in the pics of the spi kit for sale. Make sure that come with it as that would be essential !!! Happy Sailing !!!
:D

David

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:36 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That is because that one comes with a pole (not as good as the snuffer system).Also the Spi is a different cut then the new ones,that cut is not as efficient as the ones they use now.The ones now are better designed for reaching.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

On a semi related note, how hard is it to actually install the newer style spi kits? I've seen the routing instructions for the lines and have searched through these forums and others but haven't seen much detailed discussion about the difficulty. Any thoughts from those of you that have gone down this path?

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmadge wrote:
That is because that one comes with a pole (not as good as the snuffer system).Also the Spi is a different cut then the new ones,that cut is not as efficient as the ones they use now.The ones now are better designed for reaching.

Plus, I didn't see any pre-bend in the pole. On second thought, it's a shame to pay $500 for something and still not get what you want. I have a feeling you may not be happy with a spi without a snuffer. It's all up to you Rab1515. When you said "complete kit," I was thinking that you meant "COMPLETE KIT !!!"

David

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:00 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So i caved and bought the kit :P . I have a few questions through on rigging the pole. All i see is the two wires on the pole that attach to the bow tangs, is there any other support needed? Also how would I pre-bend the pole and in what direction?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You have to tie the middle of the pole up to the main bridle wire/forestay junction. This is what holds the pole up when not using the spinnaker. It's also how you induce pre-bend into the pole. Pre-bend is such that the pole is concave down, i.e. the middle of the pole bends upwards.

sm