Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Back in the Hobie fold.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Ah, another new user checking in. Haven't touched a Hobie 16 since 1976. I've never lost the memories of my days sailing around San Diego, in Baja and the Lake Martinez area. I moved to Maine in 1976. It was always a fantasy to fly a hull through the local harbor and all the lobster boats but there was always a good reason not to get back into Hobies. Well, a couple of days ago I was checking out Craigslist and noticed an ad for a "free" H16. My eyes glazed over and my mind said no......no.........no....... arg, send the email! I was the first of many to respond and the next day my friend and I went and picked it up.

Turns out she is an early boat, hull NO. 2451, exactly the same vintage as the boat I sailed so many years ago. The mast was ruined when a tree fell on it, so I'm on the hunt for a new mast. Tramp will need to be replaced and certainly all the running rigging. The hulls are in pretty good shape, well weathered but solid with minimal wear along the bottoms. Not sure how carried away I'll get cleaning them up. Original sails are dingy but will work for now. The trailer under it had dissolved but we hauled it away as part of the bargain. Luckily, the boat came apart easily to come home in pieces. Would love to talk with anyone in Maine (I'm near Rockland)(not holding my breath!) or receiving any leads on a replacement mast. Dennis Hansen, Spruce Head, Maine. hhpayson(at)midcoast(dot)com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome back to the fold....

No doubt, you'll find much new in the Hobie World.
The first is this wonderful Forum, with many new friends to meet and ideas to share.
Second is that Hobie has done two things with the H16:
A - the basic design has not changed, and it is still the world's best beach cat.
B - the set up and some of the technology has been 'tweaked' to make it sail better/faster. So, if you are replacing standing rigging, be advised to read up on the 'longer forestay', which allows the mainsail to be raked further back and the main blocks to touch when sheeted in hard. This also means that the rudder rake has to be adjusted to compensate....

Get to know your local Hobie dealer, and hook up with a nearby fleet...and enjoy the Forum.

welcome back.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:38 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I love these threads!!!!!

It is awesome to see so many people getting back on the water!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:00 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks guys. We'll see where it all goes. No.1 priority is to find a mast!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:04 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

First, good job on finding something you love(d) and going after it. That takes guts. Here is a video that will give you some hope on getting those hulls looking like butter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74sEyot5A_o

Here is a website where you can see what different sail color combinations would look like - scroll down.

http://www.slosailandcanvas.com/servlet ... Set/Detail

Make it how you like it. Post pictures as you go. Have fun!