Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problems Righting
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:02 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I own a 1976 Hobie 16. I recently tipped it on its side with the sails up. It was extremely difficult to right. The wind was blowing at about 20 knots, total crew weight was over 270 lbs, the boat was pointed into the wind, and we used the righting lines as we pumped and pulled on the hulls. It took us approximately 45 min. to right her.

I also tried righting the boat without sails which was difficult. One person ended up standing on the dock, lifting the mast and the other person was in the water pulling her over.

The hulls and mast do not have water in them. I do have a bob at the end of the mast so the boat doesn't turtle. The bob is waterless and I cannot imagine that it would make it difficult to right the boat.

Has anyone else had this problem? What would you suggest?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:41 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Did you uncleat your sails? That is the only thing I can think of.

I can right mine by myself (165 lbs) in winds that strong. The only problem I have is sometimes it flips over the other way after I get it righted. I can't imagine taking 45 minutes with that wind and a crew over 270 lbs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:39 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi,

Yes, the sails were uncleated. It is surprising to me that it would be so difficult.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I have yet to flip my h-16. I'm sure my day will come... And I don't have a bob. I've read all the information on righting, and I have in my mind how I will right this thing. Are there any "secrets" or "tricks" that would help? And (I shouldn't ask this) What if I go turtle?
I usually sail alone and weigh about 180 lbs. Winds about 10-15.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:29 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

For going turtle, I just stand on one of the sterns and let the bows go straight up. It will then fall onto one side or the other. Right as usual from there.

Current Boat
In the market
Previous boats owned
'74 Pearson 30
'84 H16
'82 H18 Magnum
St. Louis, MO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:09 am 
Site Rank - Captain

1. hopsing, i would personally get a righting bag or pole or something, because 170 # may be a bit difficult to get the leverage needed to bring her back up.

2. cool cat, if there were difficulties righting it without sails, and on the dock, then there are probably some pretty significant issues with the boat, like maybe the mast is actually filling with water somehow, although the bob should prevent alot of that. Is it a comptip mast, or oldstyle? because i guess maybe if its the original, the weight, with the weight of the bob, with maybe partially cleated sails (my lines often get stuck when theres no forces on them) could possibly prevent 270 # from righting it. But if you are pointed into the wind, all standing on the lower hull, hanging from the upper, there shouldnt be aproblem. You sure that upper hull isnt waterlogged? im not doubting you, im just trying to find an answer.

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:28 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

It sounds to me as if your righting lines are not at their correct length. I don't have a bob and my mast fills with water, so my technique needs to be good. I adjusted my lines to get optimal leverage and it helped alot. If it's blowing above 10 knts and I haven't flipped at least twice, I haven't gone sailing. I also swim my boat so the hulls are pointing into the wind. I also cleat my jib so that the air that comes underneath it is also forced under the main sail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:50 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

worldinchaos wrote:

2. cool cat, is it a comptip mast, or oldstyle?

Worldinchaos,

The boat is a 1976, so I am assuming it is an old-style mast. I didn't notice any water in the mast when I was rigging the boat. I will check the mast for air bubbles when I winterize it this year.

Thanks,
Cool Cat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

ya i meant old style as in non-comptip, so itll be flat black or silver all the way to the top, no seams, whereas the comptip is a black piece, separate from the tip. My issues I've found were that on my first boat the seam between teh comptip piece and the mast was improperly sealed, and allowed water to just flow in, making it VERY difficult (but still possible) to right, and on my 14, the old style rounded mast head (non-comptip) leaked water in through a hole between the plastic <pulley> (whats the word?) and the base of the mast head. Moreover, there was a crack in the caulking sealant at teh top, so water could fill the very top compartment and flow all teh way in. (The most fun part about this was that the rest was sealed, so if alot of water had actually gotten in, it would have just sat there, and the boat would have been ultra top heavy.

Good thing I dunked it in the pool before going out.

Definitely a good thing.

Anyway, I don't know what else to say about righting. Good Luck.

Post subject: hopsing
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:01 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

[quote="hopsing"]I have yet to flip my h-16. I'm sure my day will come... And I don't have a bob. I've read all the information on righting, and I have in my mind how I will right this thing. Are there any "secrets" or "tricks" that would help? And (I shouldn't ask this) What if I go turtle?
I usually sail alone and weigh about 180 lbs. Winds about 10-15.[/quote][quote] I sailed my 16 most of the time by myself, including using the trapeze and a righting line. Here's a few tricks no one ever told me. 1) if you have to put the mast up by yourself, park the rig facing downhill so the mast will be slightly overcenter and leaning toward the front of the boat when it is erected. That makes it easier to jump down off of the tramp and secure it to the front stay. That being done you can then turn the rig around and back it onto the shore or water. 2) When set up and barely flying the hull be sure you leverage the downwind pontoon point to drive through the waves. By leaning back you can usually "drive" through a small wave. If you let up and try to slow down, the entire rig will pitch forward and "stick" the point deeper into the wave. The next thing you will be doing is righting your hobie. On land, this maneuver is called pole vaulting. Its the same effect on the water and a good way to turtle your cat. Assume you turtle, you want the cat to come up on its side first with the top of the tramp facing into the wind. So stand on the back on the leeward pontoon so both tips will come up and out of the water and then because of your location and weight the boat should fall over sideways with the tramp into the wind. When righting your cat by yourself it is always easier if you use the wind on the top of the tramp to help "blow" you back up but you have to be quick to maneuver to the windward side to counter balance the boat as it comes vertical. I have had the wind blow me over the other way just as it came up. No fun. Another trick is to position the righting line behind your shoulders so you can get more leverage and then you can grap the trapeze line handle as the boat begins to come up so you can get back on quickly. If you really want to experiment try sailing straight downwind by setting your sails wing to wing and then hike out on the trapeze wire directly off the back of the cat between the rudders; the only thing being on the boat is your feet. Everything will be going great until you begin to try and figure out how you are going to get out of that position. P.S., if you take your drain plugs out so no one will steal them, be sure to put them back in before the next sailing experience. My wife still has not forgiven me and its been twenty years. Happy sailing![/quote]

Post subject: First time on my side
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:30 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Well...I got to fly a hull today. It was the best day I've had sailing...also the worst. I pushed the limits until a gust of wind blew me into the drink. The first time I've been on my side. I stayed calm, uncleated my sails, grabbed my righting line, pointed into the wind, and leaned and pulled. Man, you get tired of swimming, pulling, leaning, and cussing. I managed to get the cat back on both hulls.......with some help from a passing bass boat.

I usually sail alone. So, I'm ordering a righting bag!!! I've read the posts about righting systems, not much on the righting bag, but I can't risk being stranded. I'll post my success(or failure) with the bag.

thanks

hopsing

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

You might think about a power pole righting system if you always sail alone.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:07 am 
hobie1616 wrote:

Do you have any direct experience with these? I have been told they are next to useless on the 16. I was going to buy Hobie Gary's invention but he could not say for certain if it could successfully be used on the 16.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:39 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mrw wrote:
hobie1616 wrote:

Do you have any direct experience with these? I have been told they are next to useless on the 16. I was going to buy Hobie Gary's invention but he could not say for certain if it could successfully be used on the 16.
My first preference for a 16 would be an Hawaiian righting system. It stays out of the way, can be used as a chicken line for the crew and deploys fast when needed. I like the power pole next as it does everything the Hawaiian ystem does except the chicken line. Bags are okay but you have to find a place to store them and put them away after use.