Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 7:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm having so much fun learning new skills rebuilding this old Hobie. I took the sails to work the other day and re-sewed alot of the old stitching. If you ever wonder who the guy is that sews up the little bag the lifevest lives in under your airline seat, let me know! I trained him! I had batten pockets worn through right at the plastic cup, so I drilled out the rivets, sewed a piece of sailcloth around the top, bottom and front of the pocket, and re-riveted the cup back on. Re-sewed the whole luff on the jib, and patched two holes. Piece of cake. Thank God my sister taught me how to use a sewing machine!!!

Painting the hulls is next. The body work is all done and it's almost dry enough to primer and paint. Humidity Sucks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:01 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

It's great isn't it. I have also been working on my (new) 1979 hobie 16. Every night after work I put a couple hours in. Lot's of elbow grease to remove chalking and oxidation on the hulls. It's very relaxing and nice to have a rewarding hobby. By next summer it will be a gem.

Post subject: Painting
PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just wish I had a real paint booth! And a littl less humidity would help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:02 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi guys,

I too very much enjoyed restoring an old H16 and trailer last year.

I am quite pleased with the finished product. I have restored a few other boats as well.

Here are a couple of links to the restoration. They contain lots of information and photos. There may well be some things contained therein that can help you with your own work.

Cheers and Best of luck. Restoring an old boat can be both rewarding and worth the time and money.

Dave

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... t=all&vc=1

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... t=all&vc=1

Post subject: Nice links
PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:21 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the links! What was the final grit sandpaper you used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

180 to 220 Wet. Plenty - You will hear guys say you need to go much finer for painting but that is way over-kill. You would however, need to go a lot finer if you were working with gelcoat (ie repair or refinish) but not to prep for a great paint-job over gelcoat. The finish I have allows you to easily read your wrist-watch in the reflection. You just have to use some patience and technique to be sure you get all the scratches out. These are well described in the links.

Dave

Post subject: Primer on!
PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:31 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just finished spraying the primer coat. I'm very happy with the finish. I used 320 grit dry. The primer was glossy for a while so I got a good idea of what the finish paint will look like. Not bad, considering where I'm painting. A dusty old barn! I think I should get color on this week while the humidity is low. Now I gotta decide on the color!!!