All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast stepper 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:15 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Any opinions on this? I trailer my boat. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Mast stepper 2
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:05 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I had one for a while but decided to sell it. Nothing beats doing it the old fashion way.

The mast stepper took a while to set up and I didn't feel comfortable with raising it. It would flop around if I didn't have the trap wires set right.

Remember, I'm a 22 year old kid so raising the mast is no big deal to me, but I think that if you are able to do it the regular way you might as well. It just over complicates something that shouldn't be that difficult.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I use mast stepper 2 on regular basis on my H17. It is easy and quick to raise the mast solo. With 2 people and good back -- manual stepping is the way to go.

Search this forum for mast stepper and you find lots more opinions on the topic, for example

http://www.hobiecat.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=40884&p=165982&hilit=Mast+stepper+2#p165982

There are a couple of modifications I've done to mast stepper 2:

1. About 6 ft Y pole on the back of the trailer. This makes it easy to handle the mast and gives a good initial angle to rise.

2. I use a short bungee at each trap wire to stabilize the mast. As you rise the mast, the stabilizing wires need to be shortened. The bungees can suck in the difference, so no adjustment is required.

I would still recommend you have a couple of adult helpers first time you go about mast stepping. Also, make sure there are no people, vehicles, etc., in the radius of the mast may fall.

Best of luck, and remember to watch for those pesky power lines...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:34 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Yepo.... Bungees on both stays/trap wires pulling forward to the corner castings stabilize the mast while raising and also keep anything from getting caught. makes the process a breeze. Also point the boat down hill if you can - extra easy.
Tim

Memphis, TN fleet 134
Hobie 20! G-Cat5.0 and 2 Hobie 14's
Photobucket now wants $100 to post pics on forums......... pass.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I have been raising my mast solo for 27 years. I bought the boat new in '85 and I am 78 years old. There have been several threads on raising the mast solo on this forum so I won't go into details. The biggest problem is getting the mast link to toggle as you raise the mast. The special link from Murrays solved that problem for me. I just don't have the upper body strength I used to have, to bounce the mast as needed to toggle the link. Except for a tripod to hold up one end of the mast and about 8' of line to lengthen the jib halyard, I don't use anything extra.