Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hobie 16 tiller length
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:55 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am wanting to know what the length of the stock Hobie 16 tiller is. This is the white, fiberglass one.

Also, do you know if the H-14 has the same length tiller. If not, how long is the tiller on the H-14?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:19 pm 
Site Admin

H16: 84" (Boat has trapeze)

H14: 61" (Boat without trapeze)

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:44 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

Hi Peter - I use the same tiller on my 14 (with trapeze) as I do on the 16.

I made my own carbon fiber extensions by getting 3 - 60" lengths of 5/8" tubing from www.carbonfibertubeshop.com, cutting one in half and joining the 30" lengths to the 60" lengths (they sell the inside joining sleeves, too). Transfer the hardware and you've got 2 - 90" tiller extensions.

The longer extensions are nice when going downwind in light air.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Matt you converted to Carbon Fiber,interesting. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hey mbounds how much did it end up costing? im interested in making my own!

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:20 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

mmadge wrote:
Matt you converted to Carbon Fiber,interesting. :wink:

Did it last year - as soon as it was class legal.

From carbonfibertubeshop.com:
0.625" OD x 60" SM6230F \ Roll Wrapped Fabric tube - $39.75 each
0.490" OD x 5" SM490FER \ Roll Wrapped Uni with Fiberglass Veil - $9.64 each

You need three of the inner ferrules - 1 is cut in half to provide reinforcing at the hinge end of the tiller.

I already had the hardware (from the stock sticks) and the tiny bit of epoxy you use to glue them together, so my cost (for two CF tiller extensions) was $148.17 + shipping (shipping is relatively inexpensive, since the package is <72" long).

So, for me, each tiller was about $80.

If you have to buy the hardware, it's a bit more. The hinge is $13.29, plus the two bolts/nuts that hold it on. The foam grips are $9.99.

For the 17, I just glued two full pieces together - 120" long. Now that's a tiller extension!

So far, I haven't had one break on me (fingers crossed). The 17's has gotten a fair amount of use. The 16 / 14, not so much.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:06 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I found it interesting because you were the most vocal opposition to having it approved.
Glad you like it,I would find it hard to go back to the old heavy fiberglass ones.
Now just put one of the rubber universals on it and your set.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:40 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

How much weight savings did you end up with switching to CF? Is it noticable while sailing/tacking?

sm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Because of the length the lighter carbon fiber tiller is much easier to manpuver on tacks and gybes.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 10:10 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

[quote="mmadge"]Because of the length the lighter carbon fiber tiller is much easier to manpuver on tacks and gybes.[/quote]

Are you stating that from first hand experience? I realize the CF tube is lighter, but would like to know from folks that have used both types of extensions if they feel it's actually a worthwhile expense to switch to CF or is it just upping the bling factor.

sm

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

mmadge wrote:
I found it interesting because you were the most vocal opposition to having it approved.
I wasn't opposed to it. What I was opposed to was that it wasn't class legal at the time. There were some racers who were flaunting their carbon tillers when they were clearly not legal.

There was also considerable ambiguity in the rule (what is "non-conductive"?). It was better that the restriction was removed.

I'll never use rubber/elastomer hinges. They break without warning - and you're out of that race for sure (at Mohave, that would mean a 2 mile sail back to the beach to get a part, replace it, then sail back out - any breakdown was a sure ticket to at least two letter scores). I don't have any problems with my good 'ole stainless steel one. I've never broken one in 40 years of racing.

Steve - the weight difference is very noticeable on the 17's tiller because it's so long. The force required to overcome the stick's inertia when tacking is significantly less. It's also stiffer than the stock stick. Not as much wobble when steering from the wire.

On the 14 and 16? Meh. It's not that much different. Like I said, I haven't put too much time on those boats since I converted (less than 20 days of sailing on the 14; only 2 days on the 16).

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:23 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

srm wrote:
mmadge wrote:
Because of the length the lighter carbon fiber tiller is much easier to manpuver on tacks and gybes.

Are you stating that from first hand experience? I realize the CF tube is lighter, but would like to know from folks that have used both types of extensions if they feel it's actually a worthwhile expense to switch to CF or is it just upping the bling factor.

sm

No I am making it up.
YES I have first hand experience,(if you look back on a post on Carbon Fiber tillers ) i was one of the initiators of the Rule being implemented. If you go Matt's route it is actually cheaper then the Hobie Fiberglass one.
There is a reason why in almost every major One Design class boats that the majority of racers are using Carbon Fiber,and it is not the bling factor.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:30 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

MBounds wrote:
mmadge wrote:
I wasn't opposed to it. What I was opposed to was that it wasn't class legal at the time. There were some racers who were flaunting their carbon tillers when they were clearly not legal.

There was also considerable ambiguity in the rule (what is "non-conductive"?). It was better that the restriction was removed.

I'll never use rubber/elastomer hinges. They break without warning - and you're out of that race for sure (at Mohave, that would mean a 2 mile sail back to the beach to get a part, replace it, then sail back out - any breakdown was a sure ticket to at least two letter scores). I don't have any problems with my good 'ole stainless steel one. I've never broken one in 40 years of racing.

Steve - the weight difference is very noticeable on the 17's tiller because it's so long. The force required to overcome the stick's inertia when tacking is significantly less. It's also stiffer than the stock stick. Not as much wobble when steering from the wire.

On the 14 and 16? Meh. It's not that much different. Like I said, I haven't put too much time on those boats since I converted (less than 20 days of sailing on the 14; only 2 days on the 16).

Matt read over the post on Carbon Fiber tillers,you had a lot more concerns then the fact it was not legal,...cost,breakable,not in the fairness of the class....

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:10 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

what is the thickness of the fiberglass stick

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:06 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

optikid wrote:
what is the thickness of the fiberglass stick
5/8" OD (0.625 inches)