Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

jackB wrote:
...But if you want to get on the fast lane faster, then get H16 now. This will take a more effort and possibly growing pains at start, but guarantees to get the reward quicker. Just as srm suggested, start with light air. I would say, 3-7 knt. A 10 could be too much...

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of buying an H16. They're amazing boats. For some people, it's a great idea to start out with one. However, here's what I'm noticing.

I own a Bravo. I can go from trailer to water in 5 minutes. If I keep the boat on the dock, or beach, it's 30 seconds to the water. Even as a beginner, you could sail in a wide range of winds, and feel very safe. If I tip it, I don't need to learn any special techniques to right the boat. It's very simple, and what may come as a surprise to the H16 guys, it's also very fun! I have a blast on it, as do many other Bravo owners (and Wave owners etc.)

What I see at my local lake, is the H16 sitting on the shore, while I'm sailing. I see the guy who has to set aside 3 hours to get a good couple hours of sailing in, and if he's a beginner, he has to hope that the time that he has free works with the wind that he's comfortable sailing in. Where as I can set aside an hour, and be sailing for 50 minutes of that time, in a much wider variety of wind conditions.

I don't have to worry about the wind. If it's light, I can really learn exactly how the boat reacts to small adjustments. If it's stronger, I can easily fly a hull. If it's too strong, I have the option of furling the sail, but still getting out on the water.

If you want a Hobie 16, buy a Hobie 16. But if you want to just get out on the water, and sail. Think about a smaller boat that's easier to get on the water, and less intimidating. The best teacher is experience, and I can tell you for a fact, I'm out far more than the guys with H16's at my local lake.

If I was forced to start by buying a Hobie 16, I wouldn't be sailing today.

Yes the H16 is a rush, but that doesn't mean that the Bravo isn't a blast as well. I always say, the H16 is a Porsche, the Bravo is a VW GTI. One is a higher performance car, but both are well respected for being fun to drive cars. Porsche owners will never steer you towards a VW GTI, while GTI owners will definitely steer you towards the Porsche, but they'll recognize that the GTI is a damn good car, that's plenty of fun, and is perfect for a wider variety of people.

The Bravo is a fun to sail boat that will get you out on the water more than an H16. Once you've learned to sail, you'll be able to access the performance of an H16 with far more comfort and confidence.

So do what you think is best, but for a lot of people, it's not always the best idea to start with the boat that you want to end up on. For some people it's great to really learn the skills on a boat that you can master quickly.