Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:23 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Today the top of the hull (deck?) seperated from the side under the lip along the seam - from the front stay back to within about 30cms (1ft) of the front pylon.

Searched here for repair tips but no success.
No damage to either side of the seam but it needs to be repaired with the right stuff and any suggestion appreciated please.

Going hard in heavy weather in recent days - maybe this is what caused it to eventually give way: [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-5HPTGBhv4[/youtube]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 5:42 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

If the separation is clean, then you can glue it back together with lots of thickened epoxy and clamps - essentially the way the boat was built in the first place.

If the separation isn't clean (torn fiberglass), then it's a lot harder to fix and may not be worth it.

Pictures would help a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Isn't that the soundtrack from The Omen? I'd never go out on that boat again! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One advantage of the width of a catamarran is that it allows a very wide traveller. Use it. Travel out and sheet in. The boats would have been going much faster with a more forward apparent wind, and more in control with properly trimmed sails.

The mainsail twisting that much is what pushed the boat over.

Also, I'm curious where the estimate of 25 knot winds came from-looks more like 15ish to me at most.

I don't mean this to sound critical, but have a lot of experience sailing, and teaching sailing.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 4:56 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

To Mbounds: Thanks for the advise - it's a clean opening along the seam with no damage to either side. Probably best to prepare with coarse sandpaper and clean with Aceton? I have some West System 403 microfibre gap filler to mix with the resin - would this be suitable?

To Tom King: The kite and wind surfers were measuring the wind on the beach that day.

The cat I was chasing is a 'Black Witch' a bigger version of a Mosquito designed by Neil Fowler (Aus) but widened by the owner so it's just about uncontrollable in lumpy water, no matter where the traveller is at, and the lee hull always always wants to dig in especially when he sails with crew.

Letting MY traveller out would have meant I could could not then raise the w/ward hull out of the water to skip the waves while following in his wake of rough water.

Neither of us were 'going for speed' - he was just trying to stay upright and I was trying to keep up with the camera in one hand, tiller and main in the other. Under normal circumstances I could have left him behind if I sailed it as you suggested. That Black Witch goes against all the usual parameters since he changed the design!