Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: H16 Mast Head Sheave
PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:16 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Several years back, I made my own replacement mast head sheave out of delrin for the old style mast.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=28129

This is the material that I used;

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000FP ... 00_s01_i00

Over the weekend I came across the leftover delrin and made a few more sheaves. I have six now and intend to sell them if there is still an interest. They are not an exact duplicate of the original. The center hole is 1/2" instead of a bit under 7/16". This means drilling out the mast head hole to 1/2" and using a stainless steel bolt and locknut. The overall diameter of the sheave is a hair smaller than the original, but the diameter in the groove matches my original (4.4"), which is the critical dimension. I can make more if need be. Please contact me if interested. Thanks!

[email protected]

Post subject: Re: H16 Mast Head Sheave
PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:39 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I am hoping to get a little feedback on this. I was surprised that there didn't seem to be more of an interest for these sheaves. Maybe it's just the time of the year, or maybe my price to too high. I have had several inquires, but once I mention the price, I don't hear back. So I am looking for some honest feedback. Is $70 plus shipping just too much? The price is based on the cost of the material plus my time (an hour and a half per, a little less if I am making several at once). Please be blunt, I can take it :D
Thanks,
Don

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Admin

One issue is that that sheave has not been on a Hobie 16 since the mid 80's. The next issue is that few have to be replaced and you can use the new CompTip head and sheaves to do that.

I think it is just a very limited audience.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 8:19 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I saw your post and thought about it, but did not pull the trigger. Some thoughts:
1) Hobie parts are pretty darn reasonable, so $70 is kind of a lot relative to the cost of other Hobie parts.
2) In many cases this may be a like-to rather than a have-to repair. The shieve on the mast I use most often is in really bad shape, but I don't feel it is a big factor in the difficulty of raising the main. In my setup it is more about the condition of the track on the sail, the condition of the groove in the mast, and getting the bead on the halyard into the claw without being able to see it at all.
3) Even given an awesome new shieve in my hand, replacing it is not that small of a job..knocking out the old rivets, getting the old one out of there, doing whatever rework is required to swage or bolt then new one in there, and then riveting it all back together. Not that small of a job, given that it does not really need doing in my case. The ratty old one does bug me but....

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:37 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks Matt and Karl,
You guys are both right. Not that many boats still needing this fix, and the pain that it is to remove and install. I remember struggling with just trying to get the mast head off. Although, my sheave was so bad the the halyard cable would occasionally jam between the sheave and the inside of the mast head. I did purchase a comp tip style mast head back when I started all this, but the one I got was bent so bad that one of the sheaves wouldn't turn. It was pricey too, and of course I needed a new halyard to go with it. The comp tip mast head seemed so cheaply made compared to the original, plus I couldn't figure out how to mount the mast float on it. Thats when I decided to return it and make the old one work with a new sheave. I will rethink the price and maybe try to sell them more towards summer. Thanks for the input.
Don

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I emailed you...no reply.
Shoot me a pm once you figure new pricing! 8)
I would way rather replace the sheave than having to buy a new masthead and halyard! Mine is ok...but looks pretty brittle so who knows how long it will last!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:24 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I'm in at 50 bucks. Like others have stated here it would be a standby part. Something you don't need until you urgently need it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hey sunvista,
I would be thrilled to get 50 bucks for these! I took one to the ups store the other day to inquire about shipping costs. The guy said for the furthest distance (los Angeles, me, to New York state) would run around $13. That doesn't include a little box or bubble wrap ($3 or $4 more). I could check with the usps, but I know personally that hate waiting for deliveries from them (untrackable, etc). So, $50 is now inching back up towards $70. If I include shipping for $50, well, I was hoping to get a bit more. So I am thinking about a compromise at $60, that would include ups ground shipping and a little box to anywhere in the lower 48. Your thoughts?
Don

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

$13 seems a little high for something that weighs a couple ounces. Can't you get a padded or cardboard envelope, put a few stamps on it and send via regular mail? A box with bubble wrap seems like overkill. I wouldn't think Delrin nylon is all that fragile.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:52 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I agree. I went to office depot and picked up a 6 pack of bubble envelopes for 8 bucks. So, I plan to ship these vis usps standard rate and i'll include that for $50. Matt, if you still want one, $50 to paypal would be fine, not $60. My concern with the bubble envelope was something heavy breaking the 'fin' of the sheave (which is pretty thin). I believe I am way overthinking this. Thanks guys.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Cool...glad I waited till today! 8) Ill shoot some $$ over to you asap.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Shoot me your email (Paypal) address too.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:27 am 
Site Rank - Captain

USPS Small Flat Rate Priority Box will be $5.15 shipped anywhere in the country. The box is free, it's trackable, and should be delivered in 2-3 days.

I know the rep USPS gets, but we use them for most of our low weight shipments at my company, over 20,000 per year, and only have 4-5 issues with packages being lost or damaged.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tip. I did inquire about this at the post office the other day. It seems like a good deal. A bit more expensive than what I have done so far which is use a bubble envelope ($1) from office depot, with the rate being right around $2.65. Same rate anywhere in the US. No tracking though, that's what I like about your idea.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:23 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Anyone still following this thread? I might be interested in the sheave if you still have some available. I wanted to find out what would be involved in replacing it other than what I can see. Would it require taking the mast head off? If so, no big deal. If all I have to do is pop out the four rivets, drill out the hub, pull out the old sheave, replace the new one and put a lock nut in as a replacement to the old hollow rivet (whatever the heck that thing was), then I might be in. Anyone still out there?

1970 Hobie 16