Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Epoxy Paint
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

G'day all,
Will epoxy paint work on the hulls of a hobbie16? New to the painting world. Could anyone suggest a certain method or tutorial? Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:49 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

One part or two part polyurethane will work. I would prefer using a two part poly as one part is basicaly an enamel...softer. Two part uses a catalizer and dries harder better, less afected by moisture. Besides most of boat repairs are two part.
Its all in the prep work,,,either way I would never use any other primer than epoxy primer, it seal the gel coat and acts like a barrier for moisture. Deep scratches are filled with epoxy resin and high density filler such as silica.

Others can be more specific on prep work,,,theres a thread of a H16 that was recoated on another web site...cant remember,,think it was the beachcats.com

anyone?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:44 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Been there - done that.

The following links will address the prep, process and expected results of using a two-part polyurethane system over an epoxy primer.

When it comes to painting any kind/size of watercraft, this is pretty much considered to be the "top-of-the-line" coating system in terms of durability and finish quality

Hope it helps you out.

Dave

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... t=all&vc=1

http://www.catsailor.com/forums/showfla ... t=all&vc=1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I am feeling so guilty about what I plan to do to refinish one of my H16s.

Dave, do you mind me asking if somebody has not already, about, what was the cost of materials for your boat alone not the trailor?

Thanks
Sam

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:21 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm in the middle of this presently with my Catalina keel boat (stripping, blister repair, epoxy barrier coat, bottom paint, and of course, topsides). I highly recommend Interlux two part epoxy paints. Other than the moisture barrier protection, two part will give that wet, glassy look that appears 3 feet deep (assuming of course, that prep work is properly done). That being said, it is all in the prep work. Paint will not only NOT hide imperfections, it will highlight them as well. Check out interlux web site, great information and instructions - very detailed. - IMHO

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sam,

Its been a while since I thought it all through, but I`d estimate the total amount of primer and paint for BOTH was probably $300 to $400 - maybe a little more. I`d also esitmate 2/3rds to 3/4 was for the boat alone, as opposed to the trailer. Plus $50 in quality sand-paper and $50 for a gallon of RM900 (wax/grease/silicon remover), and about another $50 for epoxy and vinyl ester supplies.

...and LOTS of elbow grease.

In the end, I pretty much replaced everything anew on the entire boat with all the "latest" stuff - and I love it. No regrets whatsoever.

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:12 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Dave,

The guilt is not from wanting to spend lots of $$$ and elbow grease but from the lack of said desire. I unlike yourself sadly am not a prefectionest.

Yes I want to do a great job, maybe not as great of a job as you did (your boat is awesome) I just do not have the time, equiptment or room to build a paint booth.

Great work on your Boat

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:29 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Sam,

Thank you for the compliment.

It is true that this level of "refinishing" is certainly not for everyone. And, to begin such a project without both a strong desire and a good idea of what is involved would be a mistake - for sure. For this kind of work, you must either be "getting paid" or simply do it for yourself because you love it.

I will tell you this though, I did the whole job in my own garage. I worked primarily between the hours of 8pm and midnight for about 5 months. And, the only extra tools I purchased were a $120 compressor and a $30 paint-gun. I improvised my paint-booth using a cheap tarp and an old window (box) fan...and a $30 organic respirator of course.

Cheers

Dave

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:09 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I will take this information into consideration while I discuss this with my 15 year old daughter (Future owner of the boat). We do not have a garage but am considering a large shed in the near future.

My H16, which will become the family boat after I get my Tiger, on the other hand may not be worth that much work. See new thread "Sand Job"

Thanks
Sam

Post subject: In Primer now!
PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:36 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I just can't help but add my two cents as I'm right in the middle of painting my H16. I decided on Interlux Brightsides one part poly and primer. For a couple of reasons. First off the paint I wanted to use cost more than what I paid for the boat. I've been married long enough that the "but honey it will be sooo much more shiny" just wouldn't float the funds. I'm not the greatest painter nor do I have a good place to paint. All I'm after is a boat that is one color and safe to sail. I did put so much work into the repairs and prep that I wish the primer coat I just sprayed on was the finish coat. I guess I was so used to looking at the huge holes and patches I repaired that it looks really good in primer. Before the primer lost its gloss I was happy with my prep work. Now I have to sand all that primer off! I'm still waiting for the top coat to come in and for the weather to break. I refuse to try and paint in high humidity. :D