Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:31 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast base damage
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:10 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi there community!
I've got a lovely 1977 Hobie that I've slowly been upgrading. I've replaced parts and done mods such as: installed comp-tip, Aussie Halyard, 3-1 w/block downhaul, new jib cars/cleats, ect. The only thing left to really address is both side of the mast base.

The mast has over-rotated way to many times, abusing both the (excuse my archaic descriptors) male and female side. The stops on the mast base are just rounded slopes and the same goes for the socket side.

Am I right to think that if I replace them both with newer parts, I must also replace my standing rigging as both the mast's male and female side have been changed over the years to accommodate more mast rake??

If this is the case and I opt not to purchase new, do I need to find older models of mast ball and socket? What year did they change allowing more mast rake?

Thanks everyone! I'm patiently waiting for the snow to melt in Montana...

cheers.

Post subject: Re: Mast base damage
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:57 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bones - I had the same problem with my mast step and mast base on our 1979 H16. I haven't raked my all aluminum mast back and had the same concerns you have about replaceing them. Our Hobie Dealer told me that the newer mast step and mast base is now made beefier, but should work just as well as my old ones. I had him replace both of them two years ago and they work just fine.
I do most of the small maintenance and repairs on our boat, but sometimes it pays to have someone with more knowledge and experience do some of the repairs and replacements. I didn't feel comfortable about replacing the mast step. I felt it was worth the extra money to have our Hobie Dealer do it for us.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:46 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks richandpat,

So the newer mast cup and ball are beefier, perhaps to take more abuse. That said, did you have modernize your standing rigging. I think the new ball/cup relationship has been "tipped" back in some way to allow for more mast rake.

Anyone else know anything about this?

Can I replace the ball and cup with new, and then keep my old standing rigging?
(I know, I should replace the 77 wires....but, I give them a thorough once over every spring looking for tweaks, bends, fray, deformed eyelet, etc. They are fine.) I'd love to just replace the mast bits and leave the rigging alone.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:25 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Bones - My Standing Rigging....I replace them every couple of years just for safety reasons and peace of mind, but I have NEVER raked my mast back. Hobie stopped making the longer shrouds and shorter forestay years ago, so I special order my shrouds and forestay from MURRAYS MARINE (http://www.murrays.com).
My newer mast cup and ball (Mast Step & Mast Base) work perfect with my older style standing rigging with the mast NOT tipped back for more mast rake.
It works great and we sail often.
Ron Lane from Fast Lane Sailing installed them. He's our Hobie Dealer and he's very knowledgable about all Hobie products. His number is: (619)222-0766. If no one else on this forum can answer your question, you might want to give him a call. It's possible that he installed the mast step more toward the front since I don't rake my mast back.
Good luck!
Richard