Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Trapeze Help
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:49 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AntonLargiader wrote:
David, really nice setup. As you say, it's basically Hobie's 14709 "trapeze rig return system" rig, but mounting it to the hull looks like a really convenient mod! I'm going to order that for my '00.

What are you using for rail rug? Looks like a mountain bike tire.. :)

Just so you know, Hobie's trapeze rig return system #14709 WILL NOT suffice in the configuration of my trap return system. I used Hobie's system in concept, not in configuration. The system on my boat uses 8 mini blocks mounted in hard locations where as Hobie's system has the shock cords running through grommets (4) installed in your trampoline and 4 anchors mounted on the bottom.
See pic below.

The manner in which Hobie's system is installed allows for less available space on the trampoline. Longer lengths of shock cord are required for the system on my boat as they extend to the outer lips of the hull whereas the cord for Hobie's system only extend inside the sidebars.

Got the rail rugs from Murray's. They are SureFoot Eva Grip Kits, Part number 30-2103. They wear very well and have excellent traction.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 9:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DavidBell47 wrote:
The system on my boat uses 8 mini blocks mounted in hard locations where as Hobie's system has the shock cords running through grommets (4) installed in your trampoline and 4 anchors mounted on the bottom.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the Hobie system is, but as far as I can tell it uses four blocks mounted to the underside of the rails, like yours, which provides extra shock cord length in the same manner. You added four additional blocks to bring the ends down to hull level, which is a nice touch. The Hobie system does not include grommets for the tramp and IIRC predates the tramps that had grommets. Maybe one of the Matts can tell us more.

Pic of the kit is on this page: http://sunjammers.com/sailing-gear/sail ... ystem.html

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 2:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AntonLargiader wrote:
DavidBell47 wrote:
The system on my boat uses 8 mini blocks mounted in hard locations where as Hobie's system has the shock cords running through grommets (4) installed in your trampoline and 4 anchors mounted on the bottom.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what the Hobie system is, but as far as I can tell it uses four blocks mounted to the underside of the rails, like yours, which provides extra shock cord length in the same manner. You added four additional blocks to bring the ends down to hull level, which is a nice touch. The Hobie system does not include grommets for the tramp and IIRC predates the tramps that had grommets. Maybe one of the Matts can tell us more.

Anton, You're right. The system on the boat uses 4 more blocks located where you see them. Setting it up this way eliminates the drag AND wear that would occur on the shock cord should you run them through the grommets as on Hobie's system. Also, you'll require more shock cord in the boat's config because it has to attach to the trap line coming all the way from the hull as opposed to just coming from the tramp. With the shock cords coming through the grommets, they can obstruct your movement on the tramp. Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not knocking Hobie's system. I always say, it's whatever works for you. I'm a big guy (6'2" @ 220 lbs) that sailed solo most of the time so all the little extras I've come up with are important to me. :)

David

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 4:17 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

So do you ever wish the trap weren't there? I've been thinking about this; I don't see any downside at all for the crew trap, but I kind of like the ability to just push my trap line forward out of the way, or slide it back within reach. However, I am definitely a mixed-use case; I could be drifting around with family one day and soloing the next. If I always soloed, or probably if I always trapped, the fixed location would be great.

OTOH I guess you can clip the skipper trap forward to the crew's shock cord if you wanted to get rid of it.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 5:41 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

AntonLargiader wrote:
So do you ever wish the trap weren't there?

Never !!! The shocks are far enough outside the sidebars that there's no interference. Also, be reminded that the shock cord function alternates, that is . . . the skippers port cord connects to the crews starboard trap line and vice versa . Conditions change on the water so whatever the conditions, I feel prepared !!! I would always fully rig my boat, whatever conditions are in the forecast, crew or solo. Even sailing solo most of the time, I never consider an upgrade without considering the crew.

David

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 6:33 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I like to be able to slide the traps up behind the shrouds and get em out of the way when I don't need them.
Cool setup though!
Whats the doohickey hanging below your tramp? Not the righting bucket bag the black tube with a rope through it?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 7:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
Whats the doohickey hanging below your tramp?

That doohickey is the line to the righting bag. The tube you see over it is a shoulder support. When the bag is filled, I squat under the shoulder support then extend my body outward which allows the bag line to slide through the support. This makes it a breeze to lift the bag out of the water while holding the righting line with both lines.

David

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 5:02 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

When I first started sailing, I would pray for 5 mph wilds. After a while, I wouldn't even rig my boat unless at least 8 mph was predicted. Of course, if you're just looking for a day-sail then you wouldn't need any trap-wires at all. :)

David

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:35 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

O believe me I like it 15-20+. Trappin out is the best seat on the boat!

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 5:32 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

hobiesrock wrote:
Trappin out is the best seat on the boat!

:D

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:19 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

DavidBell47,
When you drilled the hole, did you come from the bottom? I don't want to miss or go at the wrong angle and drill into the structure.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
DavidBell47,
When you drilled the hole, did you come from the bottom? I don't want to miss or go at the wrong angle and drill into the structure.

Not enough room to drill from the bottom and still get the hole perpendicular to the radius of the flange. Drill from the top. Measure carefully and drill half the distance between the outer edge of the flange and the outer wall of the hull. Apply minimum pressure to the drill so that the bit doesn't burst through the flange and damage the outer wall of the hull.

David

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 1:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Also, are you sure you need 70 feet of shock cord? The beam is 8 feet so 3 times that would be 24 feet. I count 48 feet for both sets of trap wires.

What am I missing? I ran out of fingers and toes when counting :?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:56 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

PurdueZach wrote:
Also, are you sure you need 70 feet of shock cord? The beam is 8 feet so 3 times that would be 24 feet. I count 48 feet for both sets of trap wires.

What am I missing? I ran out of fingers and toes when counting :?

You're probably closer to being accurate than I but remember that the bungee extends to the outer side of the hulls on all four points, plus it has to extend on all four points upward to reach the trap lines (possibly another 8 feet). Seventy feet is what I purchased for the task. There was some remnants that I ended up using for the jib traveler return but it wasn't much. Use your own judgement but remember, it's better to get too much than not enough.

David

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:42 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where did you buy your shock cord? West Marine has good stuff but the cheapest is $0.77 per foot and that's quite a bit for 70'.

I'm about to go check Lowes, Ace, Home Depot.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next