Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2014 5:45 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hello,
I'm new to the forum, but I've read many posts and have learned much from them. Thanks to all.

I'm restoring a Hobie 16 that I salvaged, and I'm in the process of assembling the corner castings I obtained from a different boat to the crossbar that came with the boat that I salvaged. Older vs newer is not an issue as the castings fit into the crossbar nice and snug. The issue is that the rivet holes do not line up, so I'm forced to drill new holes in the crossbar to line up with the existing holes in the corner castings. also, on one of the corner castings, the crossbar is shy by about 1/8th of an inch from being butt tight against the stop inside the casting. The reason for this is that the casting is pushing against the jib traveler before it is completely in the crossbar. My question is, are the castings supposed to go in all the way or is there supposed to be some wiggle room to accommodate alignment/squaring adjustment with the rear crossbar (corner casting to corner casting)? Should I assemble the frame onto the hulls, square them up, and then drill my rivet holes, or can I use the measure of the rear crossbar as a template for the width of the front crossbar? If so, will tightening the nuts of the dolphin striker affect that measurement, and should it be taken into account?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 3:42 pm 
Site Admin

They should insert all the way into the castings. Remove the rivet in question... seat tight and then rivet. Striker tension can change the allowed bend but not the width really. Makes some sense to assemble, square and then rivet.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2014 8:20 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Thanks Matt. I also found this article about epoxying the frame by Gary Wilcox which I found helpful. The article provides the dimensions of the frame.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/OnTheWire/w ... ature1.htm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk