Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 8:17 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:26 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

so today we were out and capsized for the first time. during righting I climbed up on the hull and stood up and heard cracking. So I repositioned my feet closer to the bottom of the hull and righted the boat. Now the Hull on the inside between the tramp supports is soft about 1-1.5 foot. is this safe to sail? and can it be repaired?

2nd where do you stand to right the boat? I thought I was doing it right as I read many post on righting and watched videos. It seems to me that area should be reinforced if that's where you stand to right the boat.

thanks in advance
really enjoying this sport.

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 2:57 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There are already countless discussions and information in the FAQ regarding soft spots - use the search function.

Yes it can be repaired. If it is a small area and you did not fracture the glass, then try injection. If the glass is broken, you will need to access the inside of the hull to fix.

It really should be repaired before you sail again since if you capsize again, you will continue to stress that area and do more damage.

sm

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 5:22 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks I did the search and read a lot on soft spots on the deck not so much on the inside. But either way I have started the repair. With the injection method. I just wasn't sure if the spot was as critical as the deck.
Thanks