Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 1:45 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi all I'm new to the Forums and have been looking to buy a Hobie 16 for a year or so and have narrowed it down to 3 different used ones for sale. The first has all new rigging and trapeze wires, cat trax beach trailer, lightly used harnesses, car trailer, new gel coat and coat of petit anti marine fouling paint on the bottom which is blue not white(does that matter), but older sails and was made in 1986 and is listed for $1500. The 2nd is from 2008 with all the rigging but is missing a mast and doesn't have a beach or car trailer and is listed for $3500 link: http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3828692836.html . The 3rd boat includes a car trailer and new sails but am unsure of the age of it and don't have too much info on it aside from the original post link: http://newhaven.craigslist.org/boa/3814945841.html .
The boat I've contacted the seller most about is the first and seems to be the most desirable right now with the newer parts and both trailers. As of right now I'd be using it just to get better at it and learn how to sail it well this summer. The thing is that along with being in 420 regattas competing as a crew I'd like to eventually enter into Hobie regattas with my current skipper. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:27 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Hey jtbros!

Welcome to the forums! I just took a look at the links you posted... If your ultimate goal is to race in regattas and be competitive, your going to want a newer boat. The newer boats have several nice features that those older boats are not going to have. The 2008 boat will have newer and better sails (newer sails are going to make a big difference), one piece rudder gudgeons, better rudders (probably EPO 2's), integrated travelers, Aussie jib halyard, a mesh tramp, low profile mainsheet blocks and adjustable rudder rake castings. Not to mention that 2008 boat is going to be the lightest of the three.
If the 2008 boat is within your budget, get it. Its actually seems like a pretty good deal and there might be room to negotiate. I just looked in the Hobie catalog, and a new complete mast assembly is $1743.00. What you'll need to find out is whether or not they still have all the rigging. (shrouds, fore stay, trapeze wires) If not that would add a bit more. You could also probably find a second hand mast if you wanted to try. You'll be able to find a trailer pretty easily and cheap - I see trailers on Craig's list all the time for a few hundred bucks. It might be a little more money than you had intended to spend, but I think you'll be happy you did. Especially when you start attending regattas.

Another thing I would say, is focus on the quality of the boat and don't be swayed buy the accessories...

If the budget is a little more tight, I would avoid the first boat. Just my opinion... I would avoid a boat thats been re-gelcoated and currently has anti-fouling on it.
As for the second boat, it looks good, just be aware that he says he purchased an extra sail, not a new sail.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide. :D PS: Where are you located?

Last edited by ftlauderdale16 on Tue May 28, 2013 5:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:58 pm 
Hobie Approved Guru

The second boat is the one you want. He should have all the rigging if he lost the mast (bent probably) to Sandy.

The third boat is an early '80s vintage - certainly no newer than '82, and probably older.

I'm guessing you're in the Northern NJ / New York area if you're looking at these - you should hook up with Hobie Fleet 250 / Sandy Hook Bay Catamaran Club in Atlantic Highlands, NJ. There are a number of very good Hobie 16 racers based in that area than can help you with your new toy.

http://www.fleet250.org/cgi-bin/index.cgi

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:06 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the warm welcome I'm located on Long Island so any local deals you know of would be great to know of.

Is the mast assembly complete with all the blocks and cleats?

The 2nd is already pushing my budget with its price by itself and especially since it requires a complete mast, trailer and I'm gonna need a beach trailer also. There aren't any stays with the boat also. It being the lightest is definitely to my advantage and having all newer parts. Also how much do average harnesses run around cause I'll eventually need those. I also found a listing for a mast for sale for $600 http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3705103160.html is this a ok one?

And I know I was really hung up on the 1st mainly because of it being ready to sail but you bring up a very valid point and isn't the original weight 320 lbs the current minimum? Thanks for the feedback.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I'd think about buying both 1 and 2. Use #2 and take the mast, cat-trax, and trailer from 1 and sell the rest that you don't need. It's cheaper then the new mast assembly alone, and gets you a trailer and cat-trax.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 5:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Also I found this for a trailer and hopefully he has a mast too so this should be good if I can pull to get the newer Hobie http://longisland.craigslist.org/bod/3796592330.html

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:45 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ding Ding Ding

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I agree w/ ftlauderdale16, would buy the newer boat. Older boats are heavy, outdated, repaired...bottom work could mean leaks. I would rather have new than repaired "good as new". Plus, if I understood correctly, you could use the newer boat in regattas instead of buying an older boat and then another, newer boat. Buy the 2008 and you're set for awhile w/ a nice boat.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:28 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Still waiting to hear about the boat being parted out and hopefully I end up spending $4000 at most with negotiations and beach trailer that I have to find somewhere, and also hoping that the parted boat comes with a comptip mast or else that'll set me back heavily.

Also boats 1 & 3 don't have comptip masts so it wouldn't be worth it to buy them, parts would probably cost less and eventually I could get a nicer trailer.

What are some places to buy a fully set up comptip mast and get a price for it? Just wondering if the parted out boat doesn't have one.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:32 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

it you dont plan on racing you dont need a comptip, i think the aluminum ones are better

1983 Hobie 16 Cat fever #55697
2008 Laser Radial/4.7 #190471
S.S.S.
S.Y.S.P

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 1:50 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I could be wrong, but shouldnt boat #1 have a comptip if original mast?

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:24 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Bad news, the parted out boat was taken off Craig's and got no replies about it.

So now I have to look at other boats for sale, and there are plenty for under 1g but they have a full boat that I really don't want to own at the same time as another.

And I plan on racing in the future so I might as well get the comptip mast now instead of spending more for one in the future.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I went through the struggle of finding a good boat like you are now last year. Keep your head up, cast a wide net and be patient. The right boat is out there. Where are you on Long Island? I sail out of Center Moriches. Let me know if you need any local assistance or want a ride while waiting for the perfect boat. I'm about 2 weeks out from sailing. Finishing a traveler track and car upgrade and trailer modifications for easier setup. Just send me a message if you want to reach out.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:59 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

jtbros,

Welcome to the forums, and good luck with your future Hobie 16 adventures.

I agree with FtLauderdale16 and MBounds. Check out this link, some good info on what kind of boat is needed for racing.

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=45772

The newer the better. You need to keep in mind three things to be successful on the course. 1) age & weight of boat 2) weight of crew, and 3) sailing skills.

As a newbee, you want to do the best you can on no. 1, and push it into the ground as you master no3. Then as your skills are getting good, you will notice other smaller things that slow you down, like crew weight, boat weight, etc.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 4:10 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I'm planning on looking at boat #1 this weekend, no time for #2 right now, too busy and it's 2 hours away and still, no trailer.

If I end up buying #1 I'll see if I can have a comptip installed by someone who knows what they're doing at least on the 1986 mast it has. Again I get the trailers I need and all fresh lines and rigging, harnesses, and trap wires, from #1 which can be used on boat #2 I presume.

I also found this mast for sale http://jerseyshore.craigslist.org/boa/3705103160.html Update! Mast has the comptip and he has cat trax, along with a boat in a box that he wants to sell all the parts for

Also with the trailer from boat #1 I'll be able to get the 2008 boat switch out parts depending upon which I'm sailing and work my way from there if all goes well.

I asked for a complete list of all the parts missing from the 2008 boat and he hasn't gotten back to me and that was 3 days ago . Hopefully it's still for sale but I never would've been able to buy it within this time and not seeing it anyway.

Also I'm located in Old Westbury and will be sailing out of oyster bay. It'd be nice to meet up with a knowledgeable person to sail and learn about the boat.

And reading that article definitely clarifies everything and the concern with older boats and if I miss the sell on the 2008 I'll probably just end up buying a new/newer one in the future.
Thanks for all the feedback, definitely changed my outlook on this. Also link to the 1986 http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/boa/3834010325.html

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 104 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next