Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:28 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Just wanted to shout out a big THANKS!!! I've hit this board hard over the past several months with a ton of questions about my new/old H16. Gotten a ton of fantastic feedback which has proven invaluable. As time goes by, I look forward to repaying the favours!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:50 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Yes!!! Thank you all!!

I've read through a lot of the 50 some pages of topics both here and in the open cat sailing forum. When we came across a deal on an H16, I knew what to look for and had lots of guidance about how to do things. We hadn't planned on moving into cats, as I was really looking at sailing canoes or a TI, but it's been great.

In four sails, we locked the sail bead in only once and suffered trying to get the sail up every time. We kept the practice to light winds (3-8 mph). This last time (#5), we ventured out for the first time in wind about 10 mph. It still took us about half an hour to rig, but other than forgetting the mast chip, everything went well.

You've helped me with selecting, rigging, maintenance, rudder cam repair, stepping the mast, tying on some string for a wind indicator, and so many seeming little things that would have taking some suffering to learn on my own. The tips on getting the sail up (checking/cleaning/lubing the track & releasing the outhaul) got us the most amazingly easy time raising the mainsail--I couldn't believe how easily it went up this last time.

Yesterday, we did our first down wind run and botched a gybe. We were both telling the other to climb as we watched the balance shift faster than we were ready to move. We got a very sudden and unplanned swim. After we survived the initial shock and scrambling to the boat, we flailed around trying to follow the basics decribed here in so many righting threads. We sunk the lower hull and pitched the rudder side down tossing us off twice trying to turn into the wind. Once we got the lines figured out and got the mast tip up, we saw the water start to run off the sail and then it popped right up, just as described here so often. It solved any further arguments about the need to wear the PFD and broke our fears of capsizing, without being afraid to ever get on the boat again.

We've reached the point where we want winds at or above 10mph. We're still unsure about getting in those harnesses and wiring into the trapeze yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of time.

Thank you all for contributing your time with advice and helpful comments! We wouldn't have made it so far without you.