Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Article I wrote about tacking for our fleet newsletter.
http://www.fleet444.com/resources/Fleet ... l_2010.pdf. See pg 8.
Also a great picture of Colby doing it (I will see if I can find it).
Here is picture of Colby in the middle of roll tacking
http://www.hobieworlds.com/h16-2004/Pag ... justso.htm

Last edited by mmadge on Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:03 am 
Site Rank - Captain

One thing I was wondering about the tack in the video, which I agree is a great tack.

We have noticed when tacking, that leaving the Jib sheet out a bit after cleating back in, thus leaving a fuller more powerful jib, helps the boat accelerate out of the turn faster. It appears in the original video that the crew sheets the jib in tight right away, and thus the boat is slow to accelerate.

Here is a video of a tack in ligher air, where the crew does a good job of leaving power in the jib until the boat starts to accelerate. I also like this because it is a good example of "sailing the jib through the tack".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAehybB1 ... e=youtu.be

Let me know your thoughts,

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:41 am 
Site Rank - Captain

So you're saying to back wind it basically? And do you ever back wind when you gybe or just tacking?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There is actually very little back winding of the jib.She uncleats it pretty early and actually flys the jib thru the tack.
I think one common mistake is to back wind the jib too long,that just stops the boat.Also this is in pretty light air so no need to pull the jib in too tight.Also notice how long the skipper stays on the new leeward side ,and keeps tension on the main till head to wind.this is a mini version of roll tacking.
Yes I agree this is an excellent light to medium air tack.As Tom King explained, different wind strengths require just a little different technique.I think if the wind was blowing harder you could afford to get the jib in a little tighter.
It is impossible to back wind jib on a gybe,unless you gybed from a run to going upwind.So the answer is no never back wind jib when gybing.
BTW does anyone else gybe facing forward, has improved my gybing a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:49 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That newsletter is nice! What is required to be put on the list to receive it?

I am going to have to try playing around with your suggestions from the newsletter Mike. I often have the tiller and mainsheet in the same hand, and always so I can sheet out/head up at the same time. I will have to try and work the separately from the same hand.... 8)

I always struggle communicating with the crew on when to to break the jib and move it across..

What I think I like to see in heavy/medium air is the crew to have the crew pop the jib from the cleat but keep it sheeted tightly. The second it back winds keep it backwinded but allow it to move across keeping it full right into the new tack, generally with a little pause right at the mast to make sure we pop through head to wind quickly. Then of course trimming it in as we accelerate... Now.. What actually happens is I explain this apparently very poorly.. :D I hear the main battens pop over and look up to see the jib fully backwinded slowing us down if not stopping the boat completely. :roll: :oops: :x :lol: (Now I usually give "on my mark" instructions when to do what to new crew and it seems to work better until they learn enough about what is going on to be teachable)

Last weekend I was out solo in 20-30mph+ conditions.. The lake was very sloppy/choppy and I kept having to resort to "Y" turns to tack. One thing I did find helped the boat in those conditions was to ease the jib just as I began the tack. I think it took some of the 'load' from the rudders and allowed me to carry more speed longer through the tack. I have been curious to try this with some good crew or for a good skipper.

I will have to try a forward facing gybe Mike. Do you have any video of this? I will have to try it, and capture some video that will surely make you laugh!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 2:55 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I don't think I've ever gybed anything facing anyway other than forward. I gybe everything, up through big boats, just like gybing a Laser. Downwind on the Laser, you hold the mainsheet directly as it comes off the boom-not through the block. I feel the pressure in the sheet as the boat is going through dead down, and the instant (or soon after) it stops pulling, I pull it through. It's nice if it goes over without doing anything violent. I never let it slam over on its own. On boats with multiple purchases, even if it stays cleated, I'll grab all the purchases of line as it comes off the boom, feel what's going on, and pull it over at the right time.

Nothing is better than practice, and more practice. I never think about all those steps.

Even a new crew will get the feel for when to pop the jib over with some repetition, and little instruction. I don't want any crew waiting for me to tell them what to do, but discussion sessions after some number of practice repetitions is good-even while out on the wire between tacks. I sailed the first two years of the Prosail series with pickup crew. The last year, we added 30 pounds of lead to bring it up to minimum weight, and my wife crewed for me.

Never slow up before entering a tack-especially in heavy air.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 4:06 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Is that Anthony Dutchatel fro Australia Sailing?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 7:48 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

There was a good Hotline article,way back in the 80' that had an interview with Carlton Tucker and Keith Christiansen. When discussing tacking Tucker explained how he stayed on the wire until his back hit the water.That is Catamaran version of a full on roll tack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:28 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

mmadge wrote:
Is that Anthony Dutchatel fro Australia Sailing?

no worky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

It is just the original video posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:15 am 
Site Rank - Captain

If you mean the video I posted, nope. It's my wife and I at a Gulfport yacht club race in st Pete.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:21 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Well you guys look good,maybe see you at the North Americans in Galveston.Where you in FWB for the N.A.,s in 2011?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:12 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

mmadge wrote:
Well you guys look good,maybe see you at the North Americans in Galveston.Where you in FWB for the N.A.,s in 2011?

Thanks very much, we're working hard to improve. We have not done a nationals yet, but are planning on them this year. Have sailed in Charlotte Harbor the last two years and Tradewinds this year. Getting are butts kicked by the fleet 204 folks has been enough, let alone the nationals[FLUSHED FACE][FLUSHED FACE]

Hope to see you there[SMILING FACE WITH SMILING EYES]