Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

In my ongoing effort to streamline setup and takedown, I'm wondering if it would be good to use a zippered bag like the Hobie Deluxe Bag. My thinking it that I could basically drop the main right onto this bag, flake the jib on top and then just strap it to the tramp and be done. No need to roll/unroll, shimmy the tubular cover on, etc. I could basically drop the main straight down and leave it right there.

Any of you use a similar approach? I feel like taking the sails off the tramp, finding a flat/clean place to roll them, rolling/covering them, etc is a significant time waste for me.

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:56 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

I do use the Hobie Zippered bag and like it a lot. set one end of the main in and zip it a little then put the uther end in and meet the zipper in the middle. I still roll my sails and then put the bag in a sail tube. I like to roll my jib as I bring it down, not hard to do. I've normally rolled my main while lowering also but I'm trying something new this year. Pushing the boom to one side of the tramp, I flake the main while lowering it and then roll the boom. Not sure if it's better or not, but I've never laid them down on the ground to roll up.
It's sounds like your idea would work for you and the zippered bag is a nice upgrade.

79' H16 Green Lightning

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:32 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Folding sails will reduce their lifespan - and is especially hard on newer sails. The creases never come out completely.

It doesn't take that much effort to roll them. Most people roll them around the top batten, although the jib does better if you roll it around the second from top batten. You don't need to lay them out - just do it on the trampoline.