Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:18 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

Hi All,

just came back from a week in Pensacola. Had great sailing weather, trip summary here: viewtopic.php?t=48055

Anyway, as I mention in the recap, my dad and I both feel that i should be getting better performance out of our H16 in variable winds 6-12mph. Last week, my wife and I sailed in these conditions and even with one of us sitting on the low side, never could come close to lifting a hull. The wind was nice and steady, and i felt like we should be going much faster, more power.

I seem to be getting alot of twist on the top 3rd of the sail, spilling air that is much needed. Have tried following based on other tuning recommendations:
Downhaul just snug to get wrinkles out
Outhaul relatively light
Very little mast rake- blocks about 6 inches apart at maxed sheet

So.... Any other suggestions?

One thing I noticed while the boat was sitting on the beach- When a large wave washed up enough to hit the water side hull, the whole boat seemed very loose. What I mean is that there was a good amount of pay in the pylon to casting joint, allowing the hulls to swing a bit. Would shimming help? The tramp is pretty darn tight, so don;t know that is contributing anything

Sails, they still seem to have that "crispy" sound, but i do think they may be original sails. They are Factory at least.
Since I haven't been around a newer boat with new Dacron, I have no frame of reference.

Anything else to check? I would really like to get this figured out, ass it would dramatically increase the time we could use the boat here in E TN. Right now, my wife and I don;t see the benefit to go through rigging everything unless the lake is white capping, or close to it.

Thanks, sorry for the long dissertation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:08 pm 
Site Admin

The boat should fly in 12 knots.

Main sail should not twist off if fully sheeted. Maybe you need to sheet harder?

Try sailing close hauled... then start footing a bit, then a bit more. Somewhere between pointing high and a beam reach is best for flying a hull.

Look at the tell tails for proper sail sheeting.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:42 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We had proper sail trim (according to the tells) and sheeted hard. Here is a pic sailing just higher than beam reach and sheeted hard. Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 5:00 pm 
Site Admin

I think you can sheet harder. The upper tail appears to be flowing straight up.

Add the tell tails along the upper 1/3 leech.

Sheet till they flip around to the back side and then flow aft... they alternate. Flowing aft all the time is under sheeted. Hooking to the back all the time is over sheeted.

Crew weight and the crew on the trap? 285 combined is optimum, so knowing is you are heavier would help to understand.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:22 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

We are right at 260-270 combined. In that photo was just crew on trap 110lbs. I'm hiked off the side bar.

So sheet in as hard as possible, even in light air?

Thanks for the tips. Hope to get on the lake soon and try them out.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:44 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

That picture you show there is not light air.White caps indicate 12-14 knts.In those winds ,at your weight you guys should be block to block on the main and powered up enough to be twin wired.
Should make sure your jib halyard is pulled up tight.
Matt is right your upper leach is fallen off from centre quite a bit,which results in spilling wind.That is usually the result of either under sheeting or not enough jib halyard tension.The jib halyard tension really dictates how much power is in the rig.It does not have to be adjusted much to make a big difference.A couple inches either way can be the difference between being over powered or under powered.In your case I would say try tightening it up a couple inches retighten after sailing for a while, as the halyard has a tendency to creep.
Here is a good tuning video
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vjGEppjozo ... re=related

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 12:15 pm 
Site Admin

Crew weight moves aft as you fly too. Too far forward can make the boat handle poorly.

Racers typically go block-to-block when fully sheeted. Jib halyard tension holds the mast forward to the point shrouds go tight. If you "2 block" before being able to sheet hard enough, use jib halyard tension and then shroud adjustments to get it to where fully tensioned and 2 blocked.

Leech tell tails will indicate proper sheeting in most all conditions.

Body tell tails are rough guides, leech tells are fine tuning.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:38 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Thanks for the tips. Hope to give it a try soon and report back.

One last question regarding traveler. I have noticed in many videos the crew handling the traveler for the main. On my boat, when I sheet hard, the traveler will not move in or out. I have to really let off tension to get it o move. Then I'm stopping the boat almost. Is this a sign that my older style traveler car is toast?

Would rather put money towards that first than buying new sails if that will make a bigger difference.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 4:45 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Forget letting your crew handle the traveller.Upwind set it and forget it.That crew handling the traveller is for Rock Stars finding a way to keep there crew busy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:04 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Haha. Definitely not super star status.

I was meaning to get at asking about being able to move the traveler while sheeted hard. From what I am hearing, you would be adjusting the traveler more for your point of sale.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:55 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Spray the traveler with some teflon dry lube...it will work tons better!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:12 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

hobiesrock wrote:
Spray the traveler with some teflon dry lube...it will work tons better!

And if that doesn't work - then think about replacing the traveler car.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:40 pm 
Site Admin

x2 don't bother moving the traveler under power. We do not "work" the traveler on a Hobie 16.

The slightly sticky traveler is a plus. Not a negative.

Bearing travelers, that move too easily, pull toward you when you try to sheet and that is not good. Always hated that on boats like the Miracle 20 and Tiger etc.

Set it and if you want to make a quick traveler adjustment... sheet out.

Hobie Cat USA
(Retired 11/7/2022)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@mmiller
you have posted picture of tell tails on leech of main sheet. There is distance of fixing point approx. 2" from leech.
How long they should be and from whitch material?
Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Good points on the traveler, I'll leave it alone. I usually hit it with some Mclube along with all the blocks.

Matt, in another post about mast rotation, you mentioned that with older mast bases, you are unable to get proper take, and that excessive rotation spills air. Here is what my mast step and base look like. Could either of these be contributing to my issues of sail twist?

BTW, the mast base is due to be re-riveted, which is why I wonder if I shouldn't just go ahead and replace while I'm at it

ImageImage