Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: tiller handle
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:03 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I got a fixer-upper hobie and it's tiller handle is broken. Does anybody have a recommendation for a good replacement? I don't race so I just need a decent, inexpensive one.

Maybe someone has a spare they'd part with?

Post subject: Re: tiller handle
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:40 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If the broken one is the stock Hobie fiberglass stick, a 3/4 inch pvc pipe will slide over the broken portion nicely. You can either splice the fiberglass one or if the remaining piece is long enough, just use the pvc as an end handle over the broken end to extend it to the correct length. It is pretty durable, though the sun will degrade it over time and make it brittle. I roughened up the fiberglass and inside the pvc and used epoxy to glue them together. Cheap and works great. Not class legal, so would not be able to race with this repair.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 5:24 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just replaced a broken one today. I went to lowes and bought a cheap aluminum extendable paint roller stick to use as a tiller handle. I cut the threaded portion off and drilled two holes to attach the yoke.

The handle adjusts from 4ft to 8ft simply by twisting it so I will be able to use it while trapezing. I don't know yet how this will hold up, but if it breaks this year or next I'm only out 10 bucks. It has a blue rubber handle that even matches my trampoline nicely.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:28 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

@mdgann - Alas it's not a stock handle. It was pretty thick actually, but i'm not sure what brand it was. It's already discarded

@tparrish - That's clever. I'd briefly considered a broom or mop handle, but I didn't know if it would be too "ghetto"...maybe not?

There are thousands of hobies out there, and I'm scrounging around for a handle. You'd think Ronstan or someone would make an inexpensive replacement wouldn't you?

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 10:25 am 
Site Rank - Captain

Look at salty dog marine online. I got alot of stuff from them including an adjustable tiller extension. It was kinda cheap and works great. They come in a couple of lengths too.

http://www.saltydogmarine.com/product_i ... sid=ea32a6

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

tparrish wrote:
I just replaced a broken one today. I went to lowes and bought a cheap aluminum extendable paint roller stick to use as a tiller handle. I cut the threaded portion off and drilled two holes to attach the yoke.

The handle adjusts from 4ft to 8ft simply by twisting it so I will be able to use it while trapezing. I don't know yet how this will hold up, but if it breaks this year or next I'm only out 10 bucks. It has a blue rubber handle that even matches my trampoline nicely.

I ended up on this thread because I too am looking for a good replacement handle for my tiller. Similarly to TPARRISH, my last handle was a paint-roller handle which was fairly easily extendable. Unfortunately though, on my last capsize my clever paint-roller handle bent so now it is completely useless as it is 'stuck' in the extended position (I was out on the wire at the time).

Bottom line - The paint-roller handle was a cheap and easy replacement tiller handle. Unfortunately, It was also far more fragile than I had anticipated.

Good luck everyone else!