Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: A Hobie day
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:18 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

You never know what your Hobie day is going to be like. Winds were in the ten - fifteen mile range, no real reason to be out on the wire, but hanging on the side of the boat is so much fun.

Until something breaks.

One minute I'm on the side of the boat, looking like a poster child for a Hobie day, and the next I'm watching the boat sail away, the ring apparently breaking. (I can't verify this as the ring is now on the bottom of the lake.) Look at the distance to shore versus chasing the boat (it sails better then I swim). Fortunately the boat luffs and stalls in about a hundred feet, so I swim to it.

Ah, another Hobie day.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Post subject: Re: A Hobie day
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 7:47 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Welcome to the club!

I watched the boat sail away from me for the first time this year... the Durn thing was just sheeted where it would let me think I could catch it... Then it would fall off and squirt forward... If I could have swam 4 or maybe 5mph I could have caught it.. :lol: Not a chance... You got lucky!!!!

Lucky for me Blair came and rescued my boat.... and a powerboater picked me up..

Honestly as much as I end up dragging behind the boat hooked up... I am surprised was the first time for me....

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:07 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Lots of fun. Mine was a little different. Sailing with my 200 lb son in law. Both out on the trap going about 18 knots. Both on the very back corner trying to keep the leeward bow out of the water and "ping" and my son in law disappears. We have dogbones and his lower ring had broken at the weld. Needless to say, the sudden loss of 200 lbs of ballast was too much and I pitchpoled. We both came up grinning and righted the boat and sailed for another couple of hours. A great Hobie day.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:14 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

One of the important reasons that on a windy day you never cleat your sheets. The jib maybe if you are solo, but never the main. Just saying. Not being critical, just safety aware.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:25 am 
Site Rank - Admiral

mdgann wrote:
One of the important reasons that on a windy day you never cleat your sheets. The jib maybe if you are solo, but never the main. Just saying. Not being critical, just safety aware.

As you say, sailing solo so the jib was cleated. Mainsail was not. I have a bit of weather helm on the boat, which is why she luffed. Even not cleated, there's enough friction on the main sheet to cause problems.

Biggest frustration I have is that I had the main sheet in my hand. I should have held onto it. Instead, I start falling, let go of the main sheet and try grabbing for something else. Anything. Yeah, like that's going to happen. If I'd held onto the main sheet, I probably could have created enough drag to slow or stop the boat.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:01 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Yes, I know exactly how that is. I changed out my mainsheet for a smaller size that will run through the blocks better after watching my boat sail away from me after a near capsize and bailout. I am never very far from shore, but do not want to experience that again. I still cheat when on a long fast beat with a lot of pressure in the sail and on the rudder both. As an old man I get tired and cleat, but never drop the sheet. So far I have been fast enough to uncleat as I am crashing. Great stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:39 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Recently at a fleet fun sail at a lake someone brought a neighbor who had never sailed before. He was an Iranian student and spent his time burying his nose in books and was a bit shy. I needed crew and enjoy taking newcomers out because I don't sail conservatively and like to test their limits, and he joined me knowing this. After fifteen minutes of good wind but crappy performance I noticed my Hobie 18 was slower and lower in the water, then - DING! - I remembered that I forgot to put in the hull plugs! We limped to the closest shore and enlisted the help of four burly Mexicans who barely spoke English to help lift the bows to drain the water. I removed a port cover and stuck my arm in to measure the water in the hull - it went to my elbow.

Luckily I keep the drain plugs in the tramp bag and ten minutes later the water was drained and we were off. The wind was stronger and the boat started flying a hull. My crew was wearing a harness so he hooked in for the first time, and after a couple minutes he got the hang of it and was screaming like a school girl with front row tickets to a Justin Bieber concert. He was converted and asked for rides on 16s and 20s to find the one he liked most.

Another Hobie day.