Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: newbie needing help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:03 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

hello everyone,
just bought myself an old 84 Hobie 16, and i have lots of questions
1. the mast step joint is bent, it came with another but that is bent, how should i bend it back, just stick it in a vice with some pliers and bend it back or what?
2. on the love track or whatever its called the slit on the mast where you raise the sail, there's a pinch in it, how should i fix that (its in the plastic part near the top) should i just get a heat gun and a screwdriver and widen it back?
3. the tramp was busted, so i took it off and i am wondering where i should get a new one, and what type?
4. how do the trapeze wires attach? the ones on this boat (there's only one set) have just a wire with a handle then a thimble with a small rope with a knot on one end and a weird black clip thing with a shackle on the end attached to it, and can i make a second set of wires? it has 2 handles in there and the metal rings for the clips, i also have plenty of thimbles, and wires and a crimper for it.
5. it has 2 sets of sails, the one has battens and everything on it, except the jib is missing its clew block, i think i could make a knew one of stainless, but any ideas?
6. the mast has a really nice grey, plastic bracket that attaches it to the rear crossbar, it comes off, but in the front should i just put some straps around the cradle?
7. there were two weird contraptions in the toolbox they were these black plastic rectangle with a stiff wire sticking out about 2 inches, and a plastic ball on the end, what are these?
8. the one jib cam cleat doesn't return, say you cleat it and then uncleat it, it stays open, how do i go about fixing this?
9. this might sound stupid but what are the 2 ropes running through a pulley and weird miniature cleat work, and what do they do? and how do you run them etc...
10. how does the forestay and jib halyard system work, does anyone have a good diagram that shows how to run it etc...?

Post subject: Re: newbie needing help
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:04 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Where are you? I'd find someone locally who knows Hobies. But until then...

1) I'd buy an unbent step link, but straightening it should work as long as you don't weaken the welds. Then, take care to not bend it. Watch to see if the link starts to bend as you get the mast fully upright. You might need to use the 14 hole and you must remember to pull the pin before you sail.

2) That would probably work, with care.

3) Hobie sells them and there are some aftermarket ones on eBay. The Hobie one will be the best.

4) Normally through a shackle in the upper holes of the mast tang. The shrouds are on the large shackle in the bottom hole, and the trap wires are in a smaller one straddling the upper holes. There is a diagram somewhere.

5) You can buy a new clew plate from Hobie (part 22240000). If you can't install it, a sailmaker can.

6) I use the Hobie caddie at the back of the tramp, and my trailer has a support at the front, about even with the hull tips. Does your trailer have a mast support?

7) A picture would help. Sounds vaguely like a Bethwaite trap connector.

8) can you disassemble the cleat?

9) connected to... the jib travelers? Again a pic would help.

10) jib halyard takes all of the tension while sailing. The forestay holds the mast up until you raise the jib (and if the jib breaks/slips/whatever).

'00 H16 #104691
'78 H16 #32692 ex-rental [gone]
Old Holsclaw trailer
My Hobie 16 pages

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:10 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Good place to start your quest...

click me-------> http://www.hobiecat.com/support/hobie-16/

and

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxctIJVOAd0[/youtube]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:02 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

im located in south jersey, burlington county

heres the little gizmos i found, i just found that green thing todayImage

and these are for trimming the the jib? Image

also i found this what is this for? Image (sorry if it looks like im giving the finger) :lol:

my trailer has a support yes, but how should i attch it just lash it down, heres a pic from the back of this bracket thingImage

and finnally the busted step links Image

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:33 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Intel on posting pics:

viewtopic.php?f=18&t=8574

You'll get much more valuable responses once your pics are up. And you'll learn even more if you can get hands on help from a veteran. Find contact info for your local fleet here:

http://www.hcana.hobieclass.com/default ... 0817/3027/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 2:21 pm 
Site Rank - Admiral

Check out the Division 11 folks as well:
http://www.div11.hobieclass.com/default ... 3015/3594/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:38 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

oh wow thats cool, thanks for the pointers on that ill have to give them a shout one day!