Hobie Cat Forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:09 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:51 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I recently got a 1978 H16. The sails and hardware are in great shape for its age. The sails are still crisp even so someone took good care of them. I have a couple questions though.

1. It seems the inside of one hull may be infested with ants. Can they damage the hull? What is a good way to get ride of them? I am not sure if bug spray will damage the fiberglass or not.

2. The side and bottoms of the hulls are very solid. However, the top of the deck, up towards the front of the bow has a few soft spots. The common epoxy repairs were done on the deck right in front of the trampoline, but no repairs have been done on the deck at the front of the bows. Will a few soft spots up front be of concern even though the sides and bottom are solid? There are not any soft spots at all in the side of the hulls so I am hoping the few spots on top will not pose a huge problem. Fixing up these old boats is rewarding, but I am ready to get her out on the water, hopefully without any further work.

Let me know what you think?

Thanks!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:51 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Not sure on the ants...thats a new one on me.
I would however fix the soft spots before sailing. It is an easy afternoon project.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:32 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Ditto on the soft spots. Repair them before you sail and before they grow, get worse, and become much more difficult to repair. Any soft spot is a structural issue and should be considered as potentially compromising the strength of the hull.

As far as the ants, i don't think they would do any damage to the fiberglass, nor do I think the chemicals used to kill them will harm the hull. I would bomb them by spraying a bunch of raid in the hull either through the drain plug or a port hole. Then seal up the hull for a day or so and then flush out the dead ants by tipping up the bows and spraying water in the hull for a few minutes. Then air out the hull to dry the water and get the raid fumes out.

sm

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 5:40 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

i have similar problem with ants, however they are in the sidebars and not the hulls. i think i read somewhere that they eat the silicone. As for the soft spots, they can be fixed however once they start showing up they keep showing up.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:15 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

same here.. My Hobie sat in a field for a while before I bought it, took a while but finally got all the Ants out.