Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:52 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mast Bend
PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:59 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

I just took delivery of a 2013 Hobie 16 and had our first chance to sail today. This Hobie is replacing a 1987 Hobie 16, I am very familiar with the old boats and sailed with the solid one piece mast.

The new boat has a comp tip mast. We sailed today and had a hard time tacking onto starboard from port, the boat always wanted to put us back on a port tack. We were sailing in light winds and the mast had a hard time rotating and staying rotated no matter which tack but mostly when we were on Port tack.

I must be doing something wrong. Do I have the jib halyard tension too high? Are the battens too tight? Is the masted racked back too far?

When we got to shore and we de-rigged it appeared to me that the top section of the mast bends to starboard, the middle of the bend seems to be at the level of the shroud connection. Any ideas?

Post subject: Re: Mast Bend
PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:15 am 
Hobie Approved Guru

Is the mast truly bent or just kinked at the Comptip joint? If it's just kinked, it sounds like your Comptip may have not been installed correctly - a kink at the Comptip joint on a new boat is not normal. Contact the dealer to have them look at it / re-install it, which should be under warranty.

A bent mast is not normal either, but may be caused by sailing with the mast counter-rotated for a period of time in heavy air. The dealer will need to inspect it.

Your jib halyard tension may also be a bit high, exacerbating the problem. The jib halyard should be very snug, but not so tight the mast wants to center itself all the time.