Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hawaiian Righting System
PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:04 am 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Does anyone have any pictures of the Hawaiian Righting System installed on their boat; specifically showing the block attachment points to your boat? I just purchased the Murrys Hawaiian Righting System and the directions are a little vague on the specific position for installing the eyestraps / fairleads on the front plyons. (Did a search and could not find anything, if I missed it and someone can direct me to the topic it would be appreciated)

Also does anyone attach each end of the righting line to the rudder pins vs. drilling holes in the back lip of the pontoons? On my previous righting line (standard stretch line) I used to attach each side to the rudder pins by a short piece of ¼” line.

Thanks,

Jake

2008 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:16 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

On my previous boat I attached the end of the righting line to the rudder pins. My main problem was that the line would fray very quickly. And this was even high tech, high abrasion line. I ended up putting a heat shrink cover on it and that seemed to work well.

I'll go out in a couple minutes and snap some pictures of the attachment points under the tramp.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:35 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

If I remember correctly, the Murray's system comes with eye straps that you have to rivet to the front. That's not really necessary if you just attach the blocks with some line like you see in my homemade setup below.

This last picture may be more confusing than its worth. The hawaiian system s the black bungee and the blue/white line. My trap bungee system is the solid blue bungees going underneath. Image

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:08 pm 
Site Rank - Deck Hand

Hi Zach,

Thanks for your input and the pictures. You are correct about the Murrys kits. It comes with two eye straps that I am supposed to rivet to the front pylons. I’m not a big fan of putting rivets into the pylons.

The pictures are very helpful. I have a few extra blocks that will work to rig my boat the same you have yours.

It looks like you have your righting line anchored to the back plyon. Do you normally keep it there or is it tied there because your boat in on the trailer?

Thanks again

Jake

2008 Hobie 16

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 7:14 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I currently have it tied to the rear pylons because I had some spare line that was too short to go all of the way aft. It works ok as it is but I'll probably take it all the way back at some point.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:34 am 
Site Rank - Captain

I had the same problem with the line fraying, the line also kept me from being able to fully move my rudders to one side.

This is a picture of how I attached my righting line at the sterns.

1999 Hobie 20, Sail #1005
2001 Hobie 16, "Spirit of 76 sails" #18515. Sold
1981 Hobie 18, Dead!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:20 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I think this is the type of setup you were referring to when you mentioned drilling a hole in the lip of the hull. Hope this helps !!! :D

David

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:58 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

David, you just gave me the idea to tie my righting line to my foot straps. I really like your setup so mine is becoming more and more like yours.