Return to Hobie.com
Hobie Forums
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding sail windows
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:58 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

My original '80's era tequila sunrise sails, although in amazing condition, still very crispy, do not have any windows at all. Being a college student and flipping Hobie's (both literal and figuratively :D ), all of the boats and sails I have seen all have windows in the main, jib, and tell-tail windows in both the main and jib. My question is it possible to add them at home? I have a heavy duty sewing machine that is capable of the job and the skills to use it. I saw a video on you-tube, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2B-Ul76gaE, that showed how to do it for a sunfish sail, which is 5 or 6 oz Dacron, the same as a Hobie. Anyway is this something that would be approachable at home? If so what gauge vinyl is on Hobie factory sails?

Post subject: Re: Adding sail windows
PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 am 
Site Rank - Old Salt

I've never done it, but it should be very easy. Cut out the vinyl in the shape you want, apply double sided tape around the perimeter of the window. Stick the window somewhere near the middle of the sail panel where you want to place it. Then use your sewing machine to stitch around the perimeter of the window. Finally, use scissors to carefully cut out the sail fabric where the window is.

sm

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 1:21 pm 
Site Rank - Old Salt

Had mine done by a professional but I was a complete newby then. I think I would try it now. Nevertheless, since you're adding new windows, you may want to consider making them panaramic (unless they're not class legal and you want to race). I had the standard windows at first and the panaramic make a big differecnce. You can see things that you would never see otherwise, especially when trapped out flying a hull !!!

David

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:11 pm 
Site Rank - Captain

I was planing on making them fairly large by panoramic do you mean long? Also could you measure the size windows you had installed?